Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

Poll: Which solution would you prefer?
Solution 1
Solution 2
Solution 3
None of the above(post your own solution)
There isn't a real problem
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crouch jumping/jump spam.

(07-25-2016, 05:17 PM)Atothemax Wrote:  Maybe make it so people take increased damage while mid-air, making jump spam detrimental to a gunfight.

and a trait that sets someone's gravity so 99999 for 1 second kappa.
Find

So after some more fiddling around with things, I've discovered some rather interesting things, firstly the bug with 'crouch jumping' only occurs if the players hull (or bounding box) is set to a significantly shorter amount (like when crouching). Now, what they appear to do is offset the player by the median of the crouch hull and normal hull only when jumping THEN crouching(thus the sudden UP movement of players when they crouch after jumping). That allows players to jump up ledges and stuff easier.

That is the core problem, and I HAVE been able to completely get rid of that annoying position change just by keeping the duck hull at a normal size while jumping. However, this means crouch jumping up things  will not happen nearly as easily. So I don't think it's worth that trade off at all. I'm still playing around with it and thinking about other options that will fix it without the above solutions, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. It's an internal issue inside of GMOD that I can't do anything about.

So unfortunately, the only thing I can do is help minimize when this happens, so it can't be abused as much.

That all being said, I have a few more possible solutions I thought of that might be better?

Let me know what you think of these:
Possible solution 4 - Disable crouch ONLY while jumping if you have shot a weapon in the last x seconds.
Could possibly trigger if you have been damaged too
  • Pros:
    • This stops some from abusing it to win fights, which seems to be the main problem.
    • Doesn't effect people who just crouch jump around normally for no reason.
    • This has the LEAST amount of possible crouch jumps during a fight. The other methods would still have a few, but this will reduce it to only ONE possible one, and that is only if the crouch jump before shooting.
  • Cons:
    • It makes escaping more difficult if you're trying to defend yourself and then need to crouch jump over something.

Possible solution 5 - The same as solution 2 in the original post, however, instead of crouch being all around disabled, it's only disabled when jumping.

If you like solution 4 rate this with an 'agree'. If you like solution 5 rate with a 'Reasonable'!
Find

I like the added options, but I'm game for adding them all. Every single one of them.

(Also, watching people get forced into crouch on bouncing mayhem rounds is HILARIOUS. They lose their shit lol.)
Find

Honestly, if you could just disable the animation for jumping altogether, that would fix 99.9% of the problem.

However, if that isn't possible, I think solution 5 is the best.

Also, is it possible we could possibly get a beta server, and see how the winning options feel/affect gameplay?
Find

(07-26-2016, 07:36 PM)⌠ƒ€ѦГ⌡tobiasxz - back sept 1st. Wrote:  Honestly, if you could just disable the animation for jumping altogether, that would fix 99.9% of the problem.

However, if that isn't possible, I think solution 5 is the best.

Like stated in the post above. The problem comes from hulls and the internal coding to move the player up when jumping then crouching. It's not animation related at all (I disabled crouch/jump animations, T posed players, etc. Still happened).
Find