The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kill Quest Difficulty

The purpose of this post is to show the evolution of the way challenge scrolls have changed over the almost three years they have been added and how it has changed TTT at FRG. I want to talk about three main things in this post; How challenge scrolls work, updates that have affected scrolls, and my opinions on how I think scrolls can be handled slightly differently.

On February 16th, 2018 FRG added what I believe to be one of the most important updates in its lifetime[1]. This update added the Challenge scrolls to the server of varying difficulties. Soon after the expert and professional scrolls were added. It was an exciting time to see MicroBoss And The Community complete the first expert or Alex Summers completing the first Professional Scroll. These events were exciting to almost everyone on the server and for months after the addition of scrolls many people wanted to see the loot drop it even went as far as every scroll from all difficulties was posted in #general until the much-needed #scrolls was added.

The way challenge scrolls work is when you use a scroll you are given a challenge and after you complete that challenge you receive another until you have done enough challenges to satisfy the difficulty of the scroll you used. The challenges that you can expect to encounter are; Kill Quest, Word Scramble, Riddles, Collection, and Sliding Puzzle [2]. Once you finished a scroll you received a chest that rewards you based on the difficulty of the scroll that you completed. Of the quests, I think it could be unanimously decided that Kill Quests are the biggest deal when it comes to scrolls. It is the most common quest and it not only affects the player completing the scroll but it is dependent on the other players in TTT also. The Kill Quests require you to use varying weapons and get kills with a specific base weapon or tier. The combination of these two allowed kill quests to have about 50 different varying challenges that pushed players out of their comfort zone and made them use different tiers and guns[3]. This was a big challenge and it often defined how long and if you even decided to complete that challenge scroll.

FRG updates quite frequently and it is always a big deal the community bands together in excitement everyone hops in General voice chat and there may be some spam in the text chats. One occurrence of this is when Crafting was added to the server on 06/23/2019 [5]. Crafting added two traits that had the ability to help you with the kill quest. The first of the two being the Gilded and Half-Gilded traits. These traits allowed you to double the reward you received from getting a kill on your challenge scrolls. Many players of the community loved this idea as it allowed them to get weapons that improved their time to complete a scroll if they so happened to be able to get a hold of a gilded or half gilded weapon that aligned with their kill quest. Overall I think gilded was an amazing addition at this time and many others would say so too, but with the addition of gilded weapons and a small change that was added on 12/12/2019 the way some people do their kill quest entirely [6]. This small update added a new element to kill quest, when you get a kill with a weapon that is not of the tier or base weapon you would be rewarded half credit. This change allowed players the ability to create gilded weapons of their favorite guns and tiers and be awarded a full kill credit without the use of the tier specified in the kill challenge.

With all of that said I think it can be compounded into my opinions on the matter. When challenge scrolls were added they were new fun and gave great loot what was there not to love and it still holds up today you get challenges that give you a reason to play TTT and it keeps players on the server for longer. A problem I think has arisen from updates and additions to FRG since scrolls were added. This problem is the so-called gilded “sweat weapons” that have the ability to be crafted have taken away from the difficulty of a kill challange. These weapons take the challenge out of challenge scrolls because the most common and most diverse quest is no longer different and unique between every scroll. Before the addition of half kill credit, you were forced to use weapons that were different. That was the intention of the kill quest to push players onto a different weapon and challenge them to get those kills with it. Unfortunately, this diversity of weapons and tiers is no longer needed once you obtain a strong weapon(often gilded). I do not think this should be the case. I do not want to see kill quests to devolve down into superweapons being the only way people complete them. It is no longer a challenge in a challenge scroll to use one of your best possible weapons to complete a kill challenge with relative ease. I would like to make a note that I am not opposed to superweapons in the server, the crafting system has allowed players to spend many hours leveling and attempting to make such strong weapons. It is a great long term system that lets players set long term goals and achieve them, but these items should not be used to strip what is suppose to be the challenge in challenge scrolls. I would like to propose a change that will bring back some challenge to the difficult Kill Quests. In the higher difficulties Scrolls, specifically Expert and Professional should not give half credit for using a weapon of a different type. Kill quest should not just be seen as a suggestion in the difficult scrolls. You would still be allowed to complete kill challenges in lower difficulty scrolls, but this would allow the difficult scrolls to be just that, actually difficult.

I know nostalgia trumps all emotions but I would like to see the more difficult challenge scrolls to have an ounce of excitement they use to had like when they were first being completed. I feel if we make them more difficult it will be more hype and rewarding when someone completes an Expert or Professional scroll.

Do you think that Kill quests are in a good place with gilded weapons? Are challenge scrolls too easy, too hard, or just right? If you think scrolls are too easy or hard how would you change them to be easier/harder?

[1] https://frg.gg/forums/showthread.php?tid=6436
[2] https://forerunner-gaming.fandom.com/wiki/Challenge_Scrolls
[3] https://forerunner-gaming.fandom.com/wiki/Kill_Quest
[4] https://forerunnergaming.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=8588
[5] Forerunner, Gamming, Discord, #changelogs 12/12/2019

Messages In This Thread
Kill Quest Difficulty - Zarox - 11-22-2020, 06:21 AM
RE: Kill Quest Difficulty - Nytemart - 11-22-2020, 11:22 AM
RE: Kill Quest Difficulty - 2bias - 11-22-2020, 03:30 PM
RE: Kill Quest Difficulty - Nytemart - 11-22-2020, 06:10 PM
RE: Kill Quest Difficulty - 2bias - 11-22-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: Kill Quest Difficulty - Zarox - 11-22-2020, 06:17 PM