Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please fix shitboxes

These last weeks of playing the game have been nothing but pain when 80% of the time I end up dying to something out of my control, I am on my hands and knees rn, flease fix this bs. Until then I am taking a break, probably a month or so but I just can't enjoy the game in it's current state. I hear at least once a round that someone got killed from around a corner or some stupid shit.

FRG has better hitboxes than most TTT servers. Did you, by chance, used to play on moat?
Find

Hitboxes in frg are fine I've seen much worse, also he is a moatman Jake.
Find

A long time ago, I understand that moat has bubble ass hit boxes but I will shoot someone and like ... It just won't register

No ):<
Find

I feel like I have shitboxes every now and then but its not too big of a deal for me, for the most part its pretty good, its better than gears of war 5s hitboxes.
Find

funny mystery baby.jpg

I literally almost never get shitboxes. I don't know how so many people experience them.

Show some clips of the shitboxes, it makes it easier to debug/debunk. Also make sure you have the FRG HItreg system enabled, without it, you use default gmod hitreg and its awful.

90% of the time they aren't actually shitboxes. Use the FRG Hitreg logs to determine if you actually hit a shot on your screen, that didn't register on the server.

My hitreg system sends hits you make on >>YOUR END<<, to the server, to register for damage. It has to pass some integrity checks, which it passes 99% of the time. Then it registers the damage, if it throws your shot out for any reason, you get a message in the chatbox telling you.

There's a few known long time gmod bugs with afks, but thats pretty much it aside from server-side errors that may cause damage to not register or display.

Quote:I hear at least once a round that someone got killed from around a corner or some stupid shit.

That is not a shitbox, that is literally preventing a shitbox. The person who killed them did NOT see them around the corner yet. They shot them on their screen, which went through and registered damage within an acceptable threshold. This is a problem in a lot of games, because more and more games are going the 'favor the shooter' route, which is hybrid clientside/serverside hitreg, which is what I made for FRG. There's trade offs like that, but if I made it so you can't kill short distances around ANY corners, people would bitch about shitboxes. It's more important for shooting to feel good and someone dying a bit around a corner (depends on ping), is an acceptable trade off.

If you're not familiar with networking, particularly source networking, everything you see on your end is outdated and your ping + their ping + 100ms in the past. Everything is interpolated/lerped over 100ms (0.1 seconds) between old and new positions to make everything smooth. So things you see on your screen are quite a bit different than what other people see, or whats on the server. That's what can create these mismatch versions of events.

So people complaining about dying around corners are the same people that would complain about shooting someone who's going around a corner, but not having them die due to the above networking..

Here's the hitreg log system, which is perfect for debugging if you actually got a blank damage registry or you simply missed. This taps into WHAT YOU SEE EXACTLY on your screen, so if it says you missed, you literally missed.
Quote:Added a new convar br_show_hr_logs which enables a hitreg log printout when you die, or when the round ends. Both clientsided and server-side. It should help debug any inconsistencies. Type br_show_hr_logs 1 in your console to enable it, but do note, it will spam your console when you die, or when the round ends with the logs for the entire round. Like so:

(09-30-2020, 08:47 PM)Toniette Wrote:  A long time ago, I understand that moat has bubble ass hit boxes but I will shoot someone and like ... It just won't register

Moat also increased the base stats of guns to have pinpoint accuracy. Normally gmod has it set up so that the bullets can hit anywhere within the open spaces of the crosshair. You are probably just used to moats OP guns.

(10-02-2020, 08:05 PM)Jake1o Wrote:  
(09-30-2020, 08:47 PM)Toniette Wrote:  A long time ago, I understand that moat has bubble ass hit boxes but I will shoot someone and like ... It just won't register

Moat also increased the base stats of guns to have pinpoint accuracy. Normally gmod has it set up so that the bullets can hit anywhere within the open spaces of the crosshair. You are probably just used to moats OP guns.

unsure about moat items but i know most if not all META guns in FRG all have bad accuracy and stability, which makes people miss there shots even if they are shoving the gun into someones ass but if there is a pixel of your crosshair from the person then there is a chance for your bullet to miss.

just use a gun with better accuracy and you'll see
Find