Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Weapon Concept: Summoning Staff

I was thinking of new weapons that could be added that would also change up some gameplay, but be unique to FRG's TTT and events. A summoning staff would be quite the odd weapon. Seemingly it would be too OP right? Well I have some thoughts, balancing, concepts, model ideas, and problems I can foresee as well as their fixes.

I may often use existing weapons as a reference, as you are about to see in "How could it function?" because it allows me to gauge to the common forum scroller and to myself how feasible the item is to make.

When making this thread I had a specific idea in mind of one unique item, but after finishing the "Weapons and Balancing" portion I realized this could be applied to different tiers and different varients could exist, so everything could be subject to change such as damage, effects, etc.

Just to inform: I do not plan on posting meme weapons, and if I do it is with a lot of detail and actually fits into the style and themes FRG offers.

SUMMONING STAFF CONCEPT

How could it function?: Similar to how Morning star has the snowman summoned then when damage is done to the player the snowman attacks. Targetting (As I will get to later), would work similarly to Esoteric "bees" or Ender of Dreams Laser. Or the Finality AOE beam.

Thoughts:
-The user targets other players with the staff equipped and presses a key, such as e, while the crosshair is on a player to "tell" the minions to attack AND follow a target.
-The Staff could be applied to multiple seasonal events and I have some ideas I want to bring across regarding events and possible godlikes/weapons for them soon.
-The weapon should fall under MISC or Melee
-Multiple types of Summoning staffs could exist like a melee(or clinging), debuff, buff, health, or ranged and for some of those the minions would need to cling/follow the target.
-Buff and Debuff minions could have varients that allow for different effects based on the staff
-A primordial version of the staff can summon only 1 variant with a lower count of minions
-A godlike/celestial version of the staff can summon (max minions or a certain amount above the primordial version but still varies)
-Minions could be small but large enough to shoot in TTT
-Some Minions could fly next to the player or stand on the ground
-Some Minions could be stationary like a turret
-A staff (not detailed in this thread) could summon an immobile turret (but still an entity but not a prop) the player can use to shoot
-Many different variants and very malleable for events (I'm saying the idea can be integrated as an item gained through events and fit the themes)
-Depending on the staff, minions could attack individual but different targets IE: Larry the minion attacks Brassx ,while Jerry attacks Black Parade, all the while Timmy buffs/heals Tobias(Your teammate). It allows multi-tasking and teamwork which I think would be a fun and innovative mechanic. {The minions individually should not too effective which is the greatest balancing mechanic, in my opinion because it allows for more advanced gameplay}
-You can swap between which type of minion you want to summon either buff or debuff using a button like the reload button (this would work similarly to how the SCAR or acr is able to swap to semi-auto fire)

Weapon details and balancing: (Ranged Minions, but the same idea can be applied to debuff minions omitting the damage)
-Each minion does 2 damage per tick OR The first minion deals 10 dmg a hit, but every minion after the first deals .5 less damage.
-Each minion deals damage every .2,.5, or 1 second
-The player can summon up to 20 minions; balance: A new minion can only be summoned every 30-60 seconds (Balancing for Events vs. TTT so in TTT the item is not as OP as TTT almost always does not last 20 minutes){Similar to bunny crystal and djinn crystal; each time a staff drops even of the same "species" has a different minion count allow for market-ability and rarer versions of the same staff}
-Dying resets the minions to 0
-Right-click retrieves/calls back your minions off of your target and back to the user
-Left-click uses the minions similar to a gun (or like a turret) and shoots in the direction of your crosshair
-The staff allows you to swap to other guns while still having the minions out, BUT you cannot set targets unless you target with the staff first.
-You could target a player or event boss or mob with E (I assume this would require a certain code or something of the like added onto bosses or the staff to allow for the minions to target bosses and mobs as they probably do not count as player entities) {I am speculating because I do not know for sure}
-{TTT}Minions can be killed
-Minions have 20-70 health each and cannot die in events unless the user dies.
-{TTT}With each minion active the user is 2%-5% more vulnerable to all forms of damage (or can be changed to a specific damage type like bullet dmg or melee or headshot)
-And again the minions can be killed to stop the buffs,damage, and debuffs
{The damage in TTT would be the scale as in events unless you want mess with that}

Market-ability: (already mentioned, but restated for clarity): Similar to bunny crystal and djinn crystal; each time a staff drops even of the same "species" has a different minion count allow for market-ability and rarer versions of the same staff

Problems:
-Pets exist and if minions are active at the same time as pets Players would get confused (Unless you have coinshop items disabled)
-Other than pets I cannot see too many other issues

Fixes:
-Pets become disabled when a summon/minion is active
-Minions do not have a pet equivalent (so no mini dragon, egg, raven, bat, wisp, mini lyrus, etc. with the same model){wouldn't Easter egg be a weird melee minion?)

Just Balancing (may not include some of the information stated in "weapon details and balancing"
-Effectiveness varies on the usage and situation which works well for the balancing of this weapon making it not op but useful in the right situations
-Damage output reduction of all weapons when minions are active for the user (although a minion with these could buff dmg)
-Kraken: balances this weapon with the dmg output of Kraken itself allowing for deaths resetting the minions and keeping the player distracted
-Castle: Constant movement and lack of enough time to make full use of minions prevents effectiveness
-IOD: allows for greater use of the staff
-Survive: IDK people only play till first boss most of the time; technically this item could be abused to afk the zombies IF the damage output is enough to kill zombies, however, the bosses would be the real problem I believe.
-The minions individually should not too effective (as aforementioned in "thoughts").
-And again the minions can be killed to stop the buffs, damage, and debuffs

Ideas for special item based towards events:
-For Christmas: the Staff could summon a snowman or something of the like
-For Halloween: Pumpkin/jack-o-lanterns minions
-IOD: Cleric minions that can either heal or damage players. (visually they would look like tiny men on floating pillars like in IOD then they shoot out the balls; essentially a tiny version of what they look like in IOD)
-Easter: IDK something other than a bunny or egg cause those are pets unless you want to go for it and disable pets
-Moonlord boss: Drops a staff that he drops in Terraria or the Stardust Cells staff would work and the cells cling to a player slowly damaging them and when killed they explode to hit players around them.
-Other: I plan on making specific staffs sometime in the future after my idea of a minigun, but I also want to integrate the staff idea as well as visuals for events in the future. I would like to communicate with one of the guys that do map-making or weapon-making here and see if I can provide some ideas for their next project. Like a visionary, you could say.

Something about me: I like to give ideas for projects and work on something as well enjoy it to an extent. I don't like being the customer who mindlessly plays or uses the project; you could say I like the involvement and integration of my ideas, I would code these things and the stuff myself but I lack the skills to do so. IDK why I added this portion in, I just have the urge to put it in and keep it in.

Conclusion:
This idea is not complete and if I think of something worthy to add either through comments I see I will mention them below here; If there is a comment that argues something would about the weapon would not I will probably reply in this section (conceptually the weapon is possible, and I believe I covered most concerns about the weapon in "balancing" and "Weapon Details and Balancing"):
-I sat in Chick-fil-a for like 2.5 hours finishing this up :7
Find

Its interesting but seems difficult to balance and code for events.
Find