Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Changes to MoonLord

I suggest making him bigger,
1. to be able to hit him easier
2. so he cant hide in a house
3. players have some kind of hiding place since they are being bombarded with attacks
4. he shouldn't be able to enter any houses/buildings

also make the birds/ghosts bigger (a bit hard to hit)

also make crystals work please and thank you!
Find

Didn't want to make him any bigger because GMOD doesn't like changing a models scale. 2.5x was the limit I could do without physics completely freaking out.

GMOD has a bug found here where it scales the AABB of a player when you scale the model, as well as scaling it by the hull size.

So when you scale a playermodel up 2x, and then adjust the players actual collision hulls to match, the bounding box (used for various internal stuff) is actually scaled x4, causing weird prediction issues in the player movement system.

That's why if you go in-doors as the moonlord, or have a roof above you too close, you get weird stutters.

Also that reminds me, there's a feature disabled with his weapon, where he's required to deal damage to people every so often, or he will begin taking damage. I can enable that to stop camping.

Other than that, I think his small size is fine since his attacks themselves aren't that deadly, but I do agree with fixing up the minions. Though I know where exactly to shoot them so it's not too difficult for me.
Find

(03-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Brassx Wrote:  Didn't want to make him any bigger because GMOD doesn't like changing a models scale. 2.5x was the limit I could do without physics completely freaking out.

GMOD has a bug found here where it scales the AABB of a player when you scale the model, as well as scaling it by the hull size.

So when you scale a playermodel up 2x, and then adjust the players actual collision hulls to match, the bounding box (used for various internal stuff) is actually scaled x4, causing weird prediction issues in the player movement system.

That's why if you go in-doors as the moonlord, or have a roof above you too close, you get weird stutters.

Also that reminds me, there's a feature disabled with his weapon, where he's required to deal damage to people every so often, or he will begin taking damage. I can enable that to stop camping.

Other than that, I think his small size is fine since his attacks themselves aren't that deadly, but I do agree with fixing up the minions. Though I know where exactly to shoot them so it's not too difficult for me.

The problem I had with this boss is that it's just a pain to fight due to his small size and his speed combined making him a huge pain to hit. I've seen maybe 3 people get 2k each in 1 fight. On top of that his health pool is pretty massive for something so hard to hit. Another thing is that the way he is played is to chase/tunnel on 1 person at a time and kill them in less than 10 seconds if you're really going for it. He can chase you anywhere and just target you until you die and dwindle player numbers faster and faster with every people he does this too. Combining the inability to actually hit him and getting tunneled personally leads me to a boss fight I don't find enjoyable. I really like the design of it however and feel if it was improved it'd be something I look forward to participating in whenever staff can use it.
Find

+1
(03-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Brassx Wrote:  Also that reminds me, there's a feature disabled with his weapon, where he's required to deal damage to people every so often, or he will begin taking damage. I can enable that to stop camping.

(from what i saw, people go into the sky where players can see you because of the Fog or just hide underground until there minions win the round for them.)
Find

(03-08-2019, 10:15 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(03-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Brassx Wrote:  Didn't want to make him any bigger because GMOD doesn't like changing a models scale. 2.5x was the limit I could do without physics completely freaking out.

The problem I had with this boss is that it's just a pain to fight due to his small size and his speed combined making him a huge pain to hit. I've seen maybe 3 people get 2k each in 1 fight. On top of that his health pool is pretty massive for something so hard to hit. Another thing is that the way he is played is to chase/tunnel on 1 person at a time and kill them in less than 10 seconds if you're really going for it. He can chase you anywhere and just target you until you die and dwindle player numbers faster and faster with every people he does this too. Combining the inability to actually hit him and getting tunneled personally leads me to a boss fight I don't find enjoyable. I really like the design of it however and feel if it was improved it'd be something I look forward to participating in whenever staff can use it.

Have you been the moonlord? I will say it's not really as easy as you may think.

But yeah, I think his HP could be lowered, probably his max speed too. I wasn't sure if people would have a hard time hitting him or not, he is fairly big (2.5x the normal player, as stated before. originally it was x4 but that caused a TON of collision issues) when compared to a normal player, and I made sure his head hitbox was also bigger than usual. His basic attacks aren't really all that powerful, intentionally.

As for him chasing you down, I don't see much of an issue with that as it's the same thing with other player bosses, that aren't the size of dragons. Bunny fight, hunter, or the 'antlion' rounds from NTG. The boss can chase you down and rek you, some with their own loadouts, which is typically better than anything the boss uses by default. Not much that can be done about that without severely limiting map selection.

Here's all of his attacks:

It will definitely be improved upon as more ideas surface and I tweak things with play testing, and I will increase his size if I ever find a workaround for the bugs. But trust me when I say, it's literally controllable at anything beyond 2.5x scale.

I really wanted to play test it yesterday a ton and do live tweaks, but people raging about my tests just made me stop and go test my self.

Also for reference, here's how big he is compared to spider queen:
Find

i think its ok for bosses to chase one person done, sure it sucks when he/she is going after you but thats kinda the only way the boss can win!
(kinda how you are meant to play the boss role)

i would like for the minions to only be grounded but unsure if it would be too easy for the players
Find

I agree making the wisp larger if that’s possible
Find