Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

We should do something about making it easier for new players

New players really seem turned off by the bullshit. Its not fun to go up against djinn or vitality crystals, guns that shoot giant explosions, dualies of ice and fire and all sorts of garbage. It seems really hard for new players to establish a foothold and have fun when it feels like its you, the level 15 in bronze armor vs the level 126 in full dragon. Just kinda stupid.

/send me the flak whatevs

p.s this is from testimonies of new players who have stayed and who haven't, so its a set of pretty good opinions.

Also, I don't mean to nerf anything, just give newbies a better advantage somehow.
Find

keep note that this thread was posted in the context of:
an 8ish player ttt session, of which:
-1 old player and 1 player who's been here for an hour, at most ((total)), agreeing with terran's complaint about power creep.

literally every single game, ever, that's pitted players against each other and had progression in that regard has felt unfair at some point from the perspective of the lesser-progressed, even the beloved-runescape, which has lv. 15 bronze armored players and lv. 126 players in full dragon armor.
Find

Thread's actually a context of watching us hemorrhage new players after quite some time. I tend to make friends with people, including newbies. I wouldn't be so quick to try and force words in my mouth.

This isn't an MMO, we should have better equal footing. Runes of Power were a pretty cool idea, people like the guns they get.

I think a possible change would be the "Legacy" godlikes (Ascultone, Railgun, Thrakos, Tartarus, those) should be given as a permanent, yet un-trade-able, item from runes of power. Then again, its not exactly that hard to get one of those items when you can make 40k in a day and afford one, but giving 'em flashy new beams would be good.

Basically, we need players. Its a saturday and there's like 10 people on TTT, though a similar number on the lobby. Who launches Gmod and looks for "mostly empty" servers to go on? People go on the populated servers.
Find

if they are turned off by the idea of progression then that is their fault, there are also tons of new players who love coming in and feeling the adversity. Ive seen more level 26's recently with shit i dont even have than ever before. asking for it to be a little more noob friendly. They have starter weapons that are really great and they have runes of power at level 3 that give them their epic "power creep" that you love to whine about. if you want to complain about the weapons all being so powerful go back to regular old :residentsleeper: ttt. Honestly it really do be like 90% complaints on frg at this point. only complaint i have is the economy is a little fucked because people want to get it back to how it use to be even tho it wont be possible. It really is annoying tho that everytime i come on the forums have the recent threads are you posting a new complaint, at this point terran make one thread you edit onto/make bumps to because jesus my dude.

As far as a better advantage maybe give them an ultimate rune of power that lets them try out what godlike they want. It only needs to include the common godlikes (tart thrak ascul nexus epilogue kunai etc) and they can pick which ones make it last like 12 hours instead of the 3 they get now. Or give them a rune of power every 3 levels instead of just the one. The experience of a new player on frg isnt to scary other than woah theres this inventory thats overwhelming and if that overwhelms them then they wouldnt stay on the server in the first place.
Find

i also make friends with new people. in total, i've probably given out more godlikes/prims to noobs than id imagine most anyone else on the server (i counted 21 prims and 2 godlikes in my logs as unreliable as they are, among countless crates, coins, and some scrolls).

it's uncomfortable to acknowledge, but it's a fact: every game dies. considering garry's mod came out in late 2004, this community came out in late 2014, and we're still going 5 years later is a testament to how great this server is at it's core. However, you can't blame the loss of players over time (completely) on design choices made to make the server more interesting for the concurrent players. And to imply that I'm putting words in your mouth by commenting what happened not 5 mins before you posted this thread is ridiculous.
Find

Easier said than done.

(02-24-2019, 12:22 AM)Supreme Chad Thundercock Wrote:  Easier said than done.
Agreed. But that doesn't mean ideas can't be posted.
Find

honestly just mega-buff all starter weapons
i wouldnt even be mad if some of them came with godlike traits

- That Thrakos Noob
Find

It's fine. The power creep on FRG doesn't even compare to other servers. Not even close. Especially when it comes to TTK. That is not the issue at all, and it's pretty bull to say it is.

It's also a fact people tend to blame 'power creep' or 'op weapons' when they die to something, rather than the more likely case that they were just simply out aimed, or out played. Most people point fingers when they die, because it's never on them. I'm sure this rings some bells.

Starter weapons are actually really good though.

We'll be just fine however, I have some pretty cool stuff in the works.
Find

I wanted to post a thread similar to this but in regards to the lobby.

Now that it's open to the public without needing to go through TTT, there's a large lack of activities to actually do for someone brand new who joins the lobby for the first time.
I realized after the other night when 2 brand new guys joined, and it was what I'd have to assume was an awful experience.
I did Bloodwynd with them, and provided them a fishing rod but I had almost no answers as to how they actually get started IN the lobby.
Fishing provides negative value as they would need money to get started and it's just a coin sink at the moment and they're stuck waiting 4 hours for their bloodwynd cooldown with nothing else to do but wait.

I'd like to see a few things redesigned specifically with new players in mind so they have a better experience with the lobby(which has nearly caught up to TTT in rank if you did not know)

With the initial part of fishing it is absolutely unavailable to new players and impossible to get into. It SHOULD remain a coin sink overall but I think that the starting rod should be free to use and very low if anything to repair. When a starter fishing rod repair costs 2.5x more than clearing an IoD cooldown I'd think there's some inbalance.

Being able to do Bloodwynd consistently would give new players something to do on the lobby in terms of making money and gaining levels. I'd like to see him moved down to a solo boss, have little to no cooldown for failing, and have a way to pay Tobi to allow you back in if you were to win(no changes to bloodwynds health or attacks).