Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Making Lobby Kiddo-Friendly.

(09-29-2018, 06:10 PM)Nivendo Wrote:  
(09-29-2018, 03:23 PM)Lord of Darkness Wrote:  I'd personally like it if we removed level gating on all of the lobby content. This would make everything a lot more accessible to new players and would encourage people to actually stay on server instead of joining, seeing the level system, and then leaving. It's incredibly disheartening right now to join the lobby for the first time and run around and explore only to find that nearly everything that's fun in the lobby is gated off behind additional level requirements.

As far as I know, the only thing that's gated is worm queen? Maybe grims? I don't recall much being level gated except for the lobby itself, but I understand your sentiment.

The only thing that requires a level higher than the one to get into the lobby is worm queen(and i guess castle if you want to do the quest yourself as you need to do worm queen to get the keys, but you can still do it without them)
Find

(09-29-2018, 06:13 PM)tobiasxz-usagi Wrote:  
(09-29-2018, 06:10 PM)Nivendo Wrote:  
(09-29-2018, 03:23 PM)Lord of Darkness Wrote:  I'd personally like it if we removed level gating on all of the lobby content. This would make everything a lot more accessible to new players and would encourage people to actually stay on server instead of joining, seeing the level system, and then leaving. It's incredibly disheartening right now to join the lobby for the first time and run around and explore only to find that nearly everything that's fun in the lobby is gated off behind additional level requirements.

As far as I know, the only thing that's gated is worm queen? Maybe grims? I don't recall much being level gated except for the lobby itself, but I understand your sentiment.

The only thing that requires a level higher than the one to get into the lobby is worm queen(and i guess castle if you want to do the quest yourself as you need to do worm queen to get the keys, but you can still do it without them)

This is true if you have other people willing to cart you along.

My main issue is that Castle is situationally gated in levels. If you're unable to do worm queen then you'll never be able to host castle on your own, and if you can't do that then you have to mooch your way into groups. For low levels with kinda meh weapons, this is difficult to do.

So, while there's no level requirement to go into castle, there is a level requirement to host it: 25.
Find

ive never had a problem with finding a group that will take me for castle, from when i started playing again to now

(09-29-2018, 05:20 PM)Alex Summers Wrote:  The level cap definitely needs to be there. The lobby is a nice place for players of the server to relax. We don't need a bunch of trolls coming in and doing what they do. Just redirect them to ttt or something
Level 5 takes like an hour or two to get to, it's fine as is
I knew this would be the argument against opening the lobby, but what are the trolls going to do honestly? Type a few things and mic spam???? We have a block command. If parts of the lobby were blocked off (so only players lvl5 and higher could pass) and the new players couldn't do anything (unless someone took them into BW or grims< this can actually make them keep playing which is good), but see all the features then they might be more likely to actually play TTT to get to lvl 5. This would probably bring in players.

Wouldn't you want to try to capitalize on anything someone clicks on that says "FRG"?????? It seems like you blatantly turn away players who will then not try the TTT server.

Also if you had something that showed all the events you could do in the spawn room of the lobby trolls might change their mind!!!! Some of the people who play FRG now were originally going on NTG or FRG to troll.

Tbh the level 25 cap for wq/castle shouldnt ever be removed. If low levels had access to a right away, the exp gain they would have would put them above 25 in less than a week of doing wq nonstop.

You dont need to host in order to enjoy castle, and if you find yourself not being taken, find a group willing and or promote yourself by showing your ability to do well in events.

People not taking randoms will always happen seeing as how their performance can tank the entire run.
"Closest thing I have had to alcohol is chocolate milk... Don't quote me on that!"
"Please somebody use this as a signature to remember this day."-Catbug
Find

(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  I knew this would be the argument against opening the lobby, but what are the trolls going to do honestly? If parts of the lobby were blocked off (so only players lvl5 and higher could pass) and the new players couldn't do anything (unless someone took them into BW or grims< this can actually make them keep playing which is good), but see all the features then they might be more likely to actually play TTT to get to lvl 5. This would probably bring in players.

Wouldn't you want to try to capitalize on anything someone clicks on that says "FRG"?????? It seems like you blatantly turn away players who will then not try the TTT server.

You expect someone that hasn't spent 1 hour on TTT to do events and bosses? That is a pretty tall order you must admit.

Think about it, now we have a bunch of level 1's running around, that only the desperate will take to events. They're stuck with starter weapons. They will be clogging up the server, especially after the fishing update. Then they have no money to uncrate, spin2win, or do fishing. They could do slot machines, make keys, and use the bank. With all of this, we're risking a large amount of trolls/shitheads making the lobby worse and requiring action from mods and above.

Or you know, they could spend an hour on TTT.
(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  Type a few things and mic spam???? We have a block command.
What if they say the N-Word or doing mic rape? Block and forget, am I right? No, I doubt we would have lower standards on Lobby then TTT.
(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  Also if you had something that showed all the events you could do in the spawn room of the lobby trolls might change their mind!!!! Some of the people who play FRG now were originally going on NTG or FRG to troll.

Being GROSSLY optimistic, 1/10 trolls decides to join FRG. While the 9/10 requires moderator action!!!! Is it worth it?

(09-29-2018, 08:00 PM)Beebee1303 Wrote:  
(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  I knew this would be the argument against opening the lobby, but what are the trolls going to do honestly? If parts of the lobby were blocked off (so only players lvl5 and higher could pass) and the new players couldn't do anything (unless someone took them into BW or grims< this can actually make them keep playing which is good), but see all the features then they might be more likely to actually play TTT to get to lvl 5. This would probably bring in players.

You expect someone that hasn't spent 1 hour on TTT to do events and bosses? That is a pretty tall order you must admit.

Think about it, now we have a bunch of level 1's running around, that only the desperate will take to events. They're stuck with starter weapons. They will be clogging up the server, especially after the fishing update. Then they have no money to uncrate, spin2win, or do fishing. They could do slot machines, make keys, and use the bank. With all of this, we're risking a large amount of trolls/shitheads making the lobby worse and requiring action from mods and above.

(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  Type a few things and mic spam???? We have a block command.
What if they say the N-Word or doing mic rape? Block and forget, am I right? No, I doubt we would have lower standards on Lobby then TTT.
(09-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Axe Wrote:  Also if you had something that showed all the events you could do in the spawn room of the lobby trolls might change their mind!!!! Some of the people who play FRG now were originally going on NTG or FRG to troll.

Being GROSSLY optimistic, 1/10 trolls decides to join FRG. While the 9/10 requires moderator action!!!! Is it worth it?

It seems like you're misinterpreting what I said. I am saying that if someone clicks on the FRG lobby server they would be able to join into the lobby and SEE the events they wouldn't be able to DO the events unless someone took them. Since they can't do the events, but they can see what they look like they might think its cool and decide to go to the TTT server to lvl up to play the events. You're acting like I said that they will never go to TTT and will only play lobby. NO the point of allowing them to play on the lobby is so they WILL play TTT. Also staff should be expected to do things, your reasoning of "O it will mean trolls for staff" 1) U CAN LEGIT BLOCK THEM ON LOBBY this isn't hard 2) Isn't the job of a staff member to STAFF THE server.Also don't forget that our manager was a troll when he first came, I was a troll when I joined NTG, and a lot of other people were trolls as well. So yeah it is totally worth it to find those players that will stay and populate the server. IM NOT INTENDING THIS TO BE RUDE<<< why do you think moat gaming grew so much? is the content better? did he do some shady stuff? Obviously the content on his server is significantly worse (and yeah obv hes done some shady and shitty things) and a lot of people do play his server because it isn't difficult to get the rare guns (atleast from what ive heard)< but he advertised his server and brought in as many new players as possible trying to increase the number of players that would stay. Joining FRG without any guns and having it feel impossible to get them is a deterrent for new players, but the LOBBY can help show them what they are missing. I'm not trying to make anyone angry or upset, but if you ignore this then the server will always be stuck at like 20-30 players. ADVERTISE THE SERVER THROUGH THE LOBBY

(Also I am NOT advocating to make guns easier to get I think guns should be rare that's why the guns are so unique, but im saying that the lobby could make new players stay even when they have shit guns because it is so cool).

Edit: The spawn would need to change a little though, so when someone spawned on the lobby the wall that they are facing would show pictures/videos of the events with text underneath them (there could also be a message that suggests them to go the TTT, so that they can play these events). If this wasn't done then the players that joined would be very confused.

(09-29-2018, 08:00 PM)Beebee1303 Wrote:  You expect someone that hasn't spent 1 hour on TTT to do events and bosses? That is a pretty tall order you must admit.

Three things I'd like to address-

Yes, I do think they'll do events and bosses. I couldn't play with my friends back in the day because of the level 10 limitation, so we had to grind them through TTT to level 10 by feeding them traitor round items and (I'll admit) looking the other way when they had a traitor round. It's not a tall order, it's making it more accessible to people in general. PapaRussia was oddly allowed on the lobby when he was level 1, and Brass invited him to run Survive with them. He did so, and has been an active member of FRG ever since.

Yeah, they could spend an hour on TTT, but do they even know it exists? At the moment, I've seen a lot of level 1s click the lobby when there's 20 people in there fishing, get hit with a kick, and then never see them again because they have no incentive to try to figure out what happened, or look for the TTT server. They didn't even know what the community had to offer because they weren't here but for 10 seconds, assuming they were paying attention after they loaded the content.

Lastly, let's assume that 100 people join FRG. 90 are banned within a few seconds, and 10 join, are awesome members of the community, and are fun to play with. I wonder if that's worth the 90 seconds that we had to take to type !ban troll 60 trolling. ...

Have you stopped to take into consideration that not everyone is a troll, and even some people that are aren't there to make your life miserable, they're just trying to have fun- something not too far away from the reason you joined the server? I can't tell you how many times I've had a troll join the server, rdm me, and I proceed to strike up conversation and get along with that person. Sometimes, in previous servers, they even got to know me and joined the community. It's rare, but some people want to just have a good time.

Yeah, you're going to have some degenerate spouting some racist bullshit because he's misled, uneducated and just a hateful person. But most of the time that's not the case, and if you try to categorize 9/10ths of the world as that you're going to have some serious trust issues.

/rant

Thanks
Find

Probably can't hurt to try something like it for a little while and see if it changes anything. I'm more worried we will just hear people screaming "WHY IS EVERYTHING ERRORS" because they don't have the content downloaded yet.

But one of the main reasons for the level cap is to allow staff, and other players to have a place to relax, without worrying too much about moderating(those of you who have staffed here, and else where, know that it can sap the fun out of the server at times). Randoms coming in, more often than not, do cause problems, and the lobby isn't a place I wanted said problems to occur as often as TTT. The level cap helps with that A LOT, though no doubtably it does/has gotten rid of players that may have stuck around if they saw the features.

Another major one, was to help lock out people who would take more than inspiration from my work on the lobby and on the events.

(09-29-2018, 08:08 PM)Axe Wrote:  It seems like you're misinterpreting what I said. I am saying that if someone clicks on the FRG lobby server they would be able to join into the lobby and SEE the events they wouldn't be able to DO the events unless someone took them. Since they can't do the events, but they can see what they look like they might think its cool and decide to go to the TTT server to lvl up to play the events. You're acting like I said that they will never go to TTT and will only play lobby. NO the point of allowing them to play on the lobby is so they WILL play TTT. Also staff should be expected to do things, your reasoning of "O it will mean trolls for staff" 1) U CAN LEGIT BLOCK THEM ON LOBBY this isn't hard 2) Isn't the job of a staff member to STAFF THE server.Also don't forget that our manager was a troll when he first came, I was a troll when I joined NTG, and a lot of other people were trolls as well. So yeah it is totally worth it to find those players that will stay and populate the server. IM NOT INTENDING THIS TO BE RUDE<<< why do you think moat gaming grew so much? is the content better? did he do some shady stuff? Obviously the content on his server is significantly worse (and yeah obv hes done some shady and shitty things) and a lot of people do play his server because it isn't difficult to get the rare guns (atleast from what ive heard)< but he advertised his server and brought in as many new players as possible trying to increase the number of players that would stay. Joining FRG without any guns and having it feel impossible to get them is a deterrent for new players, but the LOBBY can help show them what they are missing. I'm not trying to make anyone angry or upset, but if you ignore this then the server will always be stuck at like 20-30 players.

(Also I am NOT advocating to make guns easier to get I think guns should be rare that's why the guns are so unique, but im saying that the lobby could make new players stay even when they have shit guns because it is so cool).

Edit: The spawn would need to change a little though, so when someone spawned on the lobby the wall that they are facing would show pictures/videos of the events with text underneath them (there could also be a message that suggests them to go the TTT, so that they can play these events). If this wasn't done then the players that joined would be very confused.

I like stuff where the game is friendly to new players. Like a mini-tutorial, or like you said, a wall containing a picture and a description of each event.

Quote: ADVERTISE THE SERVER THROUGH THE LOBBY

FRG Lobby is actually on the main gamemode list for garry's mod, but there is only 1 Lobby server so it stays near the bottom of the list, so when the server is full (good example is when fishing came out), a good amount of randoms joined because the gamemode was near the top.

this might not relate to anything about advertising the Lobby, but thats mostly why level 1s join.
Find