Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

The Fishing thread

As I stated in discord, if you guys could help me figure out a plan for fishing, it would make it much easier to make. I don't want it to be anything too complex, as I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this system.

So outline from the discord discussion about this:
  • Simple fishing mechanics:
    • Equip your rod, cast it into the lake and your view focuses on your bobber. Randomly your bobber will indicate you're getting a 'bite' and you must press some key to set the hook on the fish.
    • Setting the hook invokes a 'quicktime' type event where something like W A S D keys come up on the screen in random order/intervals and you have to press them at the correct timing to land your catch.
  • Uses for fish/other fish info:
    • The Catch has a chance to be something other than a fish, such as accessories.
    • There can be different tiers of rods, which increase your chances at catching fish, or make more rare fish more common.
    • Could also be consumable Baits as modifier attachment on rods, which increase your chances at catching a specific type of fish.
    • You could trade fish in at a special NPC for a special fish-shop currency. You can use this currency to buy various things, such as better rods, bait (rod modifiers), Accessory rolls, or maybe even a 'fishing crate' that contains various rods and baits, with some being more rare to get.
    • Fish could have random sizes and a leader board for each type of fish might be available later? Showing who caught the biggest of which species. The size directly translates into the price you get for it when trading it in at the NPC.

What do you guys think of this?

Can we get a fish rare melee so i can slap edit with it
Find

Sounds fun to me
Find

maybe a specific tab in inventory for fishing gear? Or hell, a tacklebox like backpack item that you can buy in item shop that'll carry specifically fishing gear?

+1 for fish melee, be like a reskinned doomscooper basically

Something that was a thing in the NTG lobby was you could cook your catches for bonus cash, but you have to catch the stove too

Maybe get a deployable boat or something? Like a little canoe you can fish from
Find

Sounds good. Implement it soon so our lives can be consumed.
Find

What about a once a week fishing tournament?
Find

+2 wen fishing com out i com back
chainy, chany, cheeny, cheesey, cheese, chebby, cheddy, kenny, chad, jeremy bentknee, bently, chendy bedendy, cheny deddy
Find

Possibility to catch a special "Fish Food" that can spawn the Kraken Boss. :O
Bouncy Rounds
Find

If you think the quicktime isn't fun, you could always either have it be like stardew and the like. Where a little icon has to be kept in the middle of a bar while the progress meter rises or falls depending on if you manage to keep it in or not.

There's also the method in other games, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Sonic Adventure Battle 2, where you have to keep the line from snapping while you try to reel in the fish.

It'd be neat to see a tab that the fishing NPC has, where instead of selling him your fish, either you pay him, or you have to find ingredients to cook the fish you catch. The quality of the fish/ ingredients could lead to different, more powerful, or longer lasting buffs.

For example: increased mobility, higher jumps, faster draw speed, and super rare ones could have one time buffs like the infrared goggles that the det has on other servers.
Find

Above all else, try to make it feel like an independent spin 2 win. I think people can agree that spin 2 win is kind of bad. Chance of getting anything is pretty low and always feels like you're getting nothing out of it.

But the moments when you get anything out of it (350 to 1000) feel okay.
Then the moments where it feels worth it (10 crates, 2500 or harmless egg) feel better and it was possibly worth spinning.
And then the micro moments where you just win the jackpot because your name is microboss.

Make it feel like it was worth spending the three hours spinning to win the 40k jackpot.

Add feeding frenzies that are announced to only the lobby server. Make it last three minutes and have two times the catch rate.

Add unfavorable event that makes fishing harder/longer and lasts like 30 minutes so people aren't always in lobby. Shouldn't happen too often or more common when there's a lot of people on lobby.

Along with this, you could add like a side thing like the discord/server status that tells us the weather (like if its in our favor/neutral/bad out).

Weekly quest for bait. Or just TTT in general has a chance to spawn bait on the ground.

Add durability to lures. Maybe repair them or it just goes away so you have to buy another. (lessens macros/automations/bots)

Treasure rarely appears and menu like the challenge chest shows up and gives you small selection of stuff.

Add fishing levels and perks. The more fish you catch, the higher your fishing level goes. Every 5 levels is a perk point. Make it like a perk tree and cost coins to respec.
  • Fish worth 5% more
  • Catch rate is better by 5%. Stacks with bait.
  • Make random fish you catch worth 30% more. Low chance
  • Makes Accessories slightly more common
  • Makes fishing crate slightly more common at the cost of uncommon chance of line breaking.
  • Durability goes down by less.
  • Items in the shop cost 5% less.
  • Consumes two bait to have 30% better chance of rare fish. (used to speed up rare fish grind and lessens the impact of garbage fish in your inventory.
  • 10% chance to not use bait.
  • Gives additional time for quicktime event.
  • Chance to make fish bigger.
  • Assuming there's a chance to get nothing, Better chance for your line to not snap.
  • Weather doesn't affect you.

This kind of ties to just a fishing level itself. The higher level you are, more items in the shop open up to you. Also fishing master title.

Add at least a weapon tier, or a melee like people in the thread are asking for. A fishing rod melee also sounds like silly fun. Ideally, Megalodon would've fit the theme to drop in here.  

Add tidals as a droppable thing.

I know you said not complicated, but I just wanted to add systems to give options.