Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The clues.. Explained!

(The first code was found very quickly under "Forum Team', thus no clues were given for it)

Clue #1 - 3

All of these clues were related to ONE code.

If you look closely below the ? there's a symbol in a slightly different shade. I thought people would pick up on this fairly easily.

Look closely: Image

Know what that symbol is?

Maybe this will be more clear:

it's the SOURCE LOGO!

The picture "?" is the default steam avatar. What do you do if you have a blank avatar usually? You CHANGE it. Why is the source logo there? To imply to look at the source code on the 'change avatar page'. Some people did figure this out after the changed images, thankfully.
Code was found in source code as: <!-- Looking for this? 1374829159 -->

Clue #4
Quote:615 notes and bottles and 5102 years until the 7th and 2nd grass grows in the patch again

Confused?
615 is the thread number. Each thread/post has an ID to it (if you hover your mouse over(or look in your URL up top) you will see 'pid=number' or 'tid=number' for threads.

What is 5102 7th and 2nd? Reverse them. 2 7 2015. That means 2/7/2015.

This points to a patchnote posted 2/7/2015, as well as a reply made by Grassx, in which she was replying to a user name "Bottle".

http://forerunnergaming.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=615&page=2

Clue #5
Quote:Formatting time sometimes pays off.
http://forerunnergaming.org/forums/usercp.php?action=options

Scroll down to the "Time Format" drop down list, and you will see the code inside that list.

Clue #6 (FINAL CLUE)
This clue was a lot more complicated than previous ones. It started with this image:

Image This was a pain for a lot of users to type in properly to online binary converters.

It converts to: "Ask for a clue to redeem yourself."

This riddle is pointing to asking for a clue somewhere. If you asked for a clue in the redeem code box, on the redeem code page. This showed up(Along with a little taunt):

This barcode decoded into: "The host of gifting should be searched for."

So all you needed to do was search the name of the old Coin giveaway host via the forums search bar: Vega Hoistway and you would see:

There you have it though!
Find

My head hurts after trying to read this and understand
Find

I thought all the clues were fairly easy.

I figured out most of them in the first 10-20 minutes of them coming out, although I missed the code for the last one when I figured it out, which upsets me.

But besides that, I would love for there to be another event similar to this in the future.
Find

(08-24-2016, 10:39 PM)Kuro Wrote:  My head hurts after trying to read this and understand

Pretty much my reaction to all of this, hopefully the next market giveaway can be a lot easier ;D
Find

Aww. C'mon they weren't that bad.
Find

I don't find puzzles related to random stuff not in-game interesting, but hey, that's just me.
Find

(08-24-2016, 11:11 PM)Terran Wrote:  I don't find puzzles related to random stuff not in-game interesting, but hey, that's just me.

That's fair. But this type of event was for the Forums. Forums are linked to in-game. So with that aspect, everything was in-fact related to in game!! *X-Files music*

But on a serious note. This was just something outside of the "in-game" stuff. We don't usually do things like this, so it was nice to mix things up a bit. Definitely not for everyone, but I had a lot of fun doing it, and others had a lot of fun(and pain) hunting the codes down.

It also helped people look around on the forums in obscure places, and discover things they may have not known about otherwise.

EDIT:

Also, I've learned on NTG from the Challenge scrolls that if I were to really make every clue/code some in-game name or item. People would literally just 'brute force' them by going through every tier, unique, godlike, npc, etc, instead of solving the clue themselves. This got some people's brains going(since there's not the 'easy way out' of just spamming in-game related stuff), trying to solve the clues. Which is always good.
Find

you should do one for stupid people for a participation pin

- That Thrakos Noob

I enjoyed it. It was fun. It was tricky and made you think.
Find

Brass and Dreadark confirmed wizards?
Find