Sign in here: Login through Steam

Poll: Thoughts on grims
Its boring and there are better uses of time
I enjoy it but finding a competent party is hard
Its a cool event but there are better uses of brass' time
I'd love to see it revamped eventually even if that just means for solo
I'd love to see it revamped eventually for parties as well
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Solo Grims (with mechanic ideas)

Brick 
There is a lot of cool content on FRG's lobby. Unfortunately, a good chunk of it is locked behind needing to find a group of people smart enough/not burnt out on it to participate/complete it, and with how long some events have existed that is getting harder and harder to do. With Grims being one of my favorites, I have gone through the event and noted possible changes at each stage that would make completing it solo possible, difficult, and unique. If you have any suggestions for better mechanics or suggestions to better the mechanics for enjoyment or dev time PLEASE reply below Smile

Overall changes:

- Reduced enemy add spawns
- increased ammo acquire speed from ammo crates
- Removal of laser (add proximity "plates" to rock/pillars)
- Add Caliburn circle effects to orb to reduce time wasted solo searching for ammo crates (Only works at full speed/efficiency if an ammo crate is inserted into the proximity and "absorbed")
- The more enemies you kill while standing in the orb's radius the stronger the orb's effects become (The orb's radius is reduced for every 25-50 points of damage you take and increased for every X kills to 2x the base size)

Stage 1 (First plug):

Existing mechanic changes
none.

Possible New mechanics
- Add "randomly" generated areas that provide protection from debuffs/dots while you and the orb occupy it (if you stand in these areas too long the area is removed and the orb cracks and repairs itself after 15 seconds with 5% reduced radius and full reduction to buffs) [Example of different stages of these depending on how long you have stood in them http://prntscr.com/10j5izu]
-

Stage 2 (second plug):

- Make boss have slightly slower ramp-up to full move speed
- Lower boss health/increase bodyshot damage

Possible New mechanics
- Add "randomly" spawned "crit boxes" that exist for 5 seconds (Example: http://prntscr.com/10j7jeg) that, when shot, increase the damage to the boss' head for X seconds/shots.

Stage 3 (Rock):

- Replace Laser with a proximity near the rock (Example:http://prntscr.com/10j7uto) that is enabled when you find and use a button that is spawned in the place of the laser.

Stage 4/5/6/7 (Pillars):

- Reduction or full removal of add spawn after pillar goes down and boss spawns.
- Reduce chance of dot/dot duration when on proximity
- replace Laser interaction with a proximity near the pillar (enabled after rock is broken and only visible once stepped on) that pillar is activated when the player stands on it for 5 seconds

Possible New mechanics
- Randomly spawned buff skulls (Example: http://prntscr.com/10j8bj8) that spawn on the statues of the currently active pillar area. When shot you receive a random buff to either: Damage, Firerate, or clip size (clip size adding a doubled mag's worth of ammo to reserves).
- When the boss is inside the radius of the orb a 1.5x damage mod is applied to them and from them (incentivizes stutter kiting at best or just an extra level of play at worst).

Final Stage (Morgoth):

- reduced health
- slight reduced damage dealt
- reduce width of slash attack "projectile"
- (if added entirely) Cooldown to boss movement/targeting after boom attack & slash. During movement cooldown melee has extreme damage ramp-up to Morgoth's back and applies life steal.

Notes/Edits:
- all plates would have to be stood on to avoid beam saber cheese.

Again, if you have any suggestions for better mechanics or suggestions to better the mechanics for enjoyment or dev time PLEASE reply below Smile

also this obviously isn't urgent and the current stack of stuff brass has on his plate is massive but at least having a place to discuss this may help if he ever has the free time to add stuff like this
Find

Brass stated many times in the past that the coding behind the event makes him not even want to touch it. I think Grims would need an entire remake, which would bring the event up to date with more recent events. Brass can use what he learned throughout the years of events he has made, and maybe some of your ideas if it were to stay similar to... what would then be the "legacy" version of grims.

I like the ideas of randomness to events, even if its pseudo. Not only for skull pickups or zones that gives you buffs, but randomness towards the event itself.

As I forgot to mention about making it solo. Possibly? Again that would be thought of if it was reworked