Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS]

(10-05-2018, 06:03 PM)2koreds Wrote:  
(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Some of my design choices with kraken though:
  • Eyes serve a purpose other than weak points(figure this out yourselves)
  • Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.
    I found it VERY odd that some people even thought tentacles stayed down at random intervals, with some 'respawning instantly'. That never happened, they are static timers with non-spiked staying down 15% longer, and upon-downing, they add downed time to other downed non-spiked ones
    The concept of it is a simple 'timed' minigame, where you must down all 8 tentacles within said time to deal damage to the boss.

The fight itself isn't complex due to the fact it can have up to 32 people, and has minimal scaling. Anything too complicated would be way too hard to manage with that many players. But, I make up for that in other ways, not fully disclosed.

I will end on the fact that you have a mistranslated line in one of the clues I left.

First and foremost thank you for your response here, I'm fascinated by the amount of effort and ingenuity you put into the fishing event itself and the Kraken fight overall. Your level of creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Secondly, about this excerpt;
(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.

As you mentioned people are targetting the easier to kill ones. Another issue with this is that the damage scales for loot, so a party pooper hanzo main *cough*excel*cough* could just "white knight" and only hurt spikey tentacles as a way to ensure they get the most loot/top dps. Depending on how the scaling for loot is currently would it be possible to adjust the distribution / dps count due to the difference here? A team player will get 5-7 damage per shot on a non spikey and when someone does the above mentioned behavior they are getting the chance to say they had the most effect in the fight when the truth is they were the lowest contributor.

Admittedly there is a level of salt with this as it can make the fight harder, but more-so the reason I bring it up is for that mindset and just like you said that was not the intention of how you made the event. I'm not sure how you could get around that issue other then making both tentacles take the same amount of damage but scaling the spikey tentacles hp down to compensate / simulate it being easier to kill. Just a thought overall.

Non spikeys actually count for LESS score than the spiked ones, by a factor of 3, however, that's not quite enough and this should probably be re-balanced. (as the Spikeys take ~5x more damage)

The only thing that is 1:1 your damage when it comes to your 'score' is the main body of the Kraken.

I just did some rebalancing, we will see how that works.
Find

Messages In This Thread
Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - 2koreds - 10-03-2018, 08:23 PM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Brassx - 10-04-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Brassx - 10-05-2018, 06:18 PM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Axe - 10-05-2018, 06:09 AM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Brassx - 10-05-2018, 05:41 PM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Glazz - 10-09-2018, 05:06 AM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - Brassx - 10-13-2018, 11:14 PM
RE: Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS] - TJ1524 - 10-13-2018, 11:38 PM