Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How important is a map's Skybox?

(02-02-2017, 07:31 AM)Brassx Wrote:  Yes it's clientside. Not serverside.

@Wind - Skyboxes are drawn via shaders. There are some calculations to apply the selected skybox texture and the HDR settings of it to the blue skybox 'material' in hammer. Ever notice on some 2d skyboxes that are more than just a cube (like the lobby), it looks the same from everywhere and you can't see the corners and everything of the actual skybox? That takes shaders to do, and thus takes up a bit more render time than just drawing a flat image.

I should also note this can maybe be a fix for the broken skybox on that zelda map.

Well if its clientside it should be fine, and possibly with a higher end pc ive just never seen what i have never seen how much a skybox can effect it because it only changed my fps by around 5 or 10 when playing with it, I think its a good idea if it really helps people and knowing its client side is fine. And i said 2d skyboxes are flat images because most of the maps that have a full open box skybox use a non moving just default jpeg from css, most skyboxes are hdr capable but not all of them are hdr, im sure garrys mod supports hdr aswell but most people just drop the skybox in there map and never consider hdr, for instance i love the l4d2 skyboxes like i think sky_l4d_night02_hdr is one of the prettiest skyboxes but well most people dont just have l4d2 installed and i avoid it because its hdr, and the most common skyboxes are tides and office and hav imo and from what i remember none of those are hdr, i think the only css hdr skyboxes really are like what cobble, milita, dust, and train.

but again maybe just because of having a high end rig i dont notice the fps change much, But i admit to reading the original post wrong because i looked at it quick while waiting to respawn in overwatch, then replied to it w/o re reading it. So yeah client side it can fix issues.
Find

Messages In This Thread
How important is a map's Skybox? - Brassx - 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: How important is a map's Skybox? - wind - 02-02-2017, 03:25 PM