Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How important is a map's Skybox?

Yes it's clientside. Not serverside.

@Wind - Skyboxes are drawn via shaders. There are some calculations to apply the selected skybox texture and the HDR settings of it to the blue skybox 'material' in hammer. Ever notice on some 2d skyboxes that are more than just a cube (like the lobby), it looks the same from everywhere and you can't see the corners and everything of the actual skybox? That takes shaders to do, and thus takes up a bit more render time than just drawing a flat image.

Yes. It won't be as good on some maps, which is why I said "It offers a pretty decent FPS boost on some maps so it may be worth it."

It actually gave me +20fps on gm_construct alone, so this could definitely help the lower end PC's play more efficiently on more maps (like rooftops).

One more thing, having a cube around a map for the skybox is terrible to do in hammer, it makes the visleaf calculations take like 10x as long, and just runs like shit compared to manually placing skybox brushes where needed.

Also, how exactly do you guys think people would abuse this? Having pure white is pretty cancer for your eyes, it doesn't help you at all from my testings (think the pure white room in gm_construct). Pure black feels sort of normal. Charples aren't too hard to spot unless suuuuuper far away, because unlike the pure black back-drop, the player models have lighting applied to them so it's fairly issue to make them out.

EDIT:

I should also note this can maybe be a fix for the broken skybox on that zelda map.
Find

Messages In This Thread
How important is a map's Skybox? - Brassx - 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: How important is a map's Skybox? - Brassx - 02-02-2017, 07:31 AM