Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Racist/ Not understanding other cultures

So today I was playing some ttt and it was on the night castle map and this guy who was Arabic joined, and was playing with us. But he could speak English just fine and was speaking English. But some egg heads were telling him its an english server and the Arabic guy was saying whats wrong I am speaking English, and if u need to call me something call me DANKMEMES my alias. Then an adolescent said ya this is an English speaking server we don't speak Islam. And that Islamic names are not allowed. Then I was saying that's pretty racist because just because he is Arabic doesn't mean he is Islamic, then since the Arabic guy was getting so much shit from people he left since he felt unwelcome.

I just want to know why the people on were being so hostile/not understanding to his culture.
Find

If he was speaking English I don't understand why people would harass him.
Find

(03-29-2015, 05:10 PM)Dreadark Wrote:  If he was speaking English I don't understand why people would harass him.

ya i know i didn't understand either.
Find

Dood.
His name was in some kind of messed up Arabic thing. We didn't know what it was. Derp just made the call. His name made it IMPOSSIBLE to KOS him without saying "Arabic letters guy" or anything similar.

So he was asked to change his name. That isn't difficult.

I don't know the difference between Arabia or Islam or anything. This IS an English speaking server. If a group of russians came on and started screaming cyka cyka into the chat, they'd be asked to stop.

That isn't racism, that's simple dang courtesy. However, it was Derp's call, not mine.

If his name was [][]()()[]()()[][], we would ask him to change it, too.
Find

waht happened and i think what started this all was as terren said his name was un readable. i asked denneh what i should do and he told me to ask him to change his name. i asked him to change his name, he then said no. if you need to address me you can call him somthing. this started mulitple people off saying to change his name. im pretty sure he then changed his name mid round resulting in him being banned.
Find

It would make sense if the name was weird and hard to pronounce and he was asked to change it then.
Find

His name was something like "وذلك بفضل ميمي".
Find

(03-29-2015, 05:34 PM)Derp-A-Doodle-Doo Wrote:  waht happened and i think what started this all was as terren said his name was un readable. i asked denneh what i should do and he told me to ask him to change his name. i asked him to change his name, he then said no. if you need to address me you can call him somthing. this started mulitple people off saying to change his name. im pretty sure he then changed his name mid round resulting in him being banned.

first off i don't know why your lying, he didnt say no he asked you why. and he didnt change his name he just left after everyone turned on him.

(03-29-2015, 05:28 PM)Terran Wrote:  Dood.
His name was in some kind of messed up Arabic thing. We didn't know what it was. Derp just made the call. His name made it IMPOSSIBLE to KOS him without saying "Arabic letters guy" or anything similar.

So he was asked to change his name. That isn't difficult.

I don't know the difference between Arabia or Islam or anything. This IS an English speaking server. If a group of russians came on and started screaming cyka cyka into the chat, they'd be asked to stop.

That isn't racism, that's simple dang courtesy. However, it was Derp's call, not mine.

He was speaking english terran, he didnt speak one word of arabic, so its not the same as russains joined and yelling cyka cyka, also that is racist. its not just courtesy. Just because it wasn't completely stereotyping him it was still racist. And it shows how ignorant you are being because Islam is a RELIGION and ARABIA ISNT A FUCKIGN COUNTRY. He was Arabic, which means he is from that area in the middle east. SO yes you are being ignorant and racist its not the fact u told him to change his name it's how you did it and how the disrespectful others on the server deiced to handle it. Because other then terran and derp everybody else was saying ya we can't read your islamic name, WHEN he wasn't even islamic people were just sterotyping him and being racist.
Find

I never said that he used the language similar to his text to speak, I was simply making a reference.

I'm not going to argue; - Believe what you want, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Denny and Derp made their decisions, and that is final.
Find

If someone has a name that is unreadable in the main language of the server, they need to change it.

Nothing racist about that, however, if any disrespect was happening because of his name/race, that's a different story.

Also, people not knowing the difference between Islamic and Arabic, doesn't make them racist. It makes them simply ignorant on the matter.(Which I guess could inadvertently be offensive, but still..)

Point is: This is an English server, if someone has a name that is unreadable for the average English speaking person, it needs to be changed. Simple as that, no offense intended.

it would be different if the main gamemode didn't rely on communicating each others names via voice chat/text chat.