Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

Poll: What do you think
Transfer inventory [no risk of players leaving] [new players at disadvantage]
A total restart [risk of old players leaving] [New content/economy/fair start for all]
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kurious About S&box FRG

The thing is, GMOD server's browser is exploited by a lot of the top servers at the moment.

When you open the server browser, the server's ranking is MOSTLY rated by ping. There's a host that manipulates pings to make them lower on the browser, but once you get in game your ping is actually much different, thus always showing up at the top even if their player count isn't full. That's a big reason why gaining new players is becoming more and more difficult. These servers are using these shady practices whether they mean to or not, and smothering smaller communities.

Read more here:
https://gmod.facepunch.com/f/gmodgd/bsryo/Anycast-DDoS-Protection-How-many-popular-servers-are-manipulating-pings/1/

S&box would be a new and fresh start for communities and servers. I almost guarantee TTT will be out very soon post-launch, if not as soon as it's launched. (I could also just make it)

Transferring items will not likely happen. It's a brand new engine, with all new weapons. I would not likely be able to transfer previous weapon models over to unreal engine very easily without remaking them all. It would be a good chance for a fresh start, especially with the competition, after all, sequels don't often keep the same items. It would give me a chance to go in a completely different direction and do new things. If I choose to do nothing, I lose the race to have the first unique content setup on it, and if the game becomes somewhat popular, whoever does these things first and has their server up will have a big advantage/head start. What ever happens, GMOD would stay up obviously. I'm sure I can think of things I could do to reward long-time players/donators though.

Keep in mind, I am much more fluent in C# than I am in LUA, getting a simple Inventory system up shouldn't take me more than a week or two depending on how they have their engine setup and if UI frameworks comes bundled.

All of this is a LONG time away, so don't worry.

I've been developing for GMOD for the past 6 years, and quite frankly I'm pretty burnt out on it, I'm held back SO much by it. A new game/engine would refresh me for sure and I'm sure I can do some really cool stuff, after all(not to brag), I was the first one to do a lot of things on TTT back on NTG and earlier days of FRG, and Innovated TTT Inventory systems(yes pointshop was technically an Inventory system, but I innovated and made a much more complex version with more complicated items that had random stats, trading, loot drops, crates, etc), TTT loot drops, TTT Economies, TTT Minigames, TTT Bossfights, etc. None of those things existed(as far as I know)/were popular before I released my system in early 2013.

Also, keep in mind I still work on my passion project, Voslom:

Just recently I've been doing some shader work on the skies:

Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kurious About S&ndbox FRG - Kheyre - 06-10-2018, 06:02 AM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - TJ1524 - 06-10-2018, 08:23 AM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Brassx - 06-10-2018, 10:29 AM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Nytemart - 06-10-2018, 12:34 PM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Brassx - 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Nytemart - 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Eclipse - 06-10-2018, 05:03 PM
RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Skully_Fluff - 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM