Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How important is a map's Skybox?

While working on the next big update, I was trying out a few hacky performance increase methods.

I found a way to completely disable the skybox from rendering and replace it with a solid color, and I'm thinking about having it as an option for those with fairly low end rigs for the optimal performance. My question to you all is:

How important do you think a skybox is? Do you think this is an unfair advantage? It offers a pretty decent FPS boost on some maps so it may be worth it.

Here's what it looks like (before and after):

Perhaps I can make this setting a setting per map.

I have already made a way to already detect their average FPS for a set duration, and if it's fairly low I allow them to use a command to go through the FRG settings and automatically set things to the optimal performance settings. This is mainly for newbies, but it's pretty handy and this setting could be added to it.

Find

Harder to spot charples perfecto +1
Find

(02-01-2017, 11:08 AM)Mod Mark Wrote:  Harder to spot charples perfecto +1

he makes a valid point. Charples can blend in pretty well. Maybe change the color to something else. But yeah. Give a good option to those who run with a potato. i remember i used too
Twistz
Positive (+1): Ill Baja Blast you in bed Kappa. +1.
Find

Maybe a blue sky would be nicer instead of charple weather
Umpty Dumpty
Find

I can change the sky color to anything needed.

Perhaps I'll have a color picker in the settings to allow people to choose, and just have a 'gray'-ish color by default. (neutral color)

(02-01-2017, 01:51 PM)Brassx Wrote:  I can change the sky color to anything needed.

Perhaps I'll have a color picker in the settings to allow people to choose, and just have a 'gray'-ish color by default. (neutral color)

rave maps when.
Find

A kind of interesting side effect of this is I can make some interesting looking fog/weather effects as I can match the skybox color to a generated fogs color.
Find

Idc I dont pay attention to the details when I'm playing +1
Find

(02-01-2017, 05:52 PM)Kcat Wrote:  Idc I dont pay attention to the details when I'm playing +1

You don't pay attention anyways Big Grin
All joking aside I think it'd be very helpful for others playing. Performance would definitely benefit
Find

if u can change it per map, that would be great, because on almost all indoors maps a skybox isnt really needed, like the one with the spaceship and the underground area, but like on rooftops i feel the actuall sky box would be best
Find