Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I have an issue.

(12-23-2019, 01:20 AM)The Black Parade Wrote:  Yeah gambling is a serious addiction,  I think we all know this, or should at least. Rather real life or a game, people with a gambling problem will definitely be weak to the temptation of gambling, and it works way too good (look at CSGO, TF2, Hearthstone I’m assuming with card pack, pretty much in any game, like literally any game).

You can’t just stop an addiction, it’s on the same level as quitting smoking.
I think there should be a ban system to 5050, like ironmen accounts.

I've personally had serious gambling problems involving TF2 where I'd regularly waste money on unboxing in an effort to get an expensive unusual. Not in big increments, granted, but more than enough for it to add up into regrettable triple-digit numbers. It took me becoming excruciatingly depressed in 2018 as a direct result and admitting to friends and family that I had a gambling problem (not easy, all things considered) for me to eventually give up unboxing in TF2 entirely...though I'm pretty sure I still have a gambling problem, especially considering how often FRG's drop system (and dailies and minigames and basically everything else) gives me crates and cases.

On the bright side, at least I don't have to pay lots of real world money for those crates+cases anymore.

It's part of the reason why I almost never touch 50/50; because I'd rather not take the risk of losing everything and getting that horrible regretful feeling again.
Find

(12-23-2019, 01:20 AM)The Black Parade Wrote:  Yeah gambling is a serious addiction,  I think we all know this, or should at least. Rather real life or a game, people with a gambling problem will definitely be weak to the temptation of gambling, and it works way too good (look at CSGO, TF2, Hearthstone I’m assuming with card pack, pretty much in any game, like literally any game).

It is not on the same level as smoking. Smoking has an addictive chemical in it. Gambling is just something you like to do. The argument can be made that gambling releases dopamine in the brain but many other things do that as well. Anything that gives you a sense of reward or even just enjoyable activities can release dopamine. If you think gambling is a serious addiction than anything that releases dopamine is too. You can learn self control. You can stop yourself from gambling. The first step is to stop using the excuse of "but I'm addicted."

i hope this is satire because jesus christ if it isn’t you guys lack complete self discipline
Find

(12-23-2019, 06:08 PM)Jake1o Wrote:  

It is not on the same level as smoking. Smoking has an addictive chemical in it. Gambling is just something you like to do. The argument can be made that gambling releases dopamine in the brain but many other things do that as well. Anything that gives you a sense of reward or even just enjoyable activities can release dopamine. If you think gambling is a serious addiction than anything that releases dopamine is too. You can learn self control. You can stop yourself from gambling. The first step is to stop using the excuse of "but I'm addicted."

Yeah I mean isn't all of FRG's inventory system based on gambling?
Find

(12-23-2019, 06:08 PM)Jake1o Wrote:  

I think you are completely missing the point of why people get addicted to gambling and why it's an addiction and not "something you like to do". It's not just a matter of quitting, it is a fully fledged addiction and I think that you are undermining just how serious a gambling addiction can be. You argue that something like smoking is harder to quit due to the addictive chemical nicotine. And that is a valid point. However with something like compulsive gambling you're not only addicted to the dopamine rush it gives, but also to relieve the craving of gambling that you have due to not having gambled in a long time (like a smoker would). My main qualm is simply that you're not considering compulsive gambling to be a legitimate addiction. I highly suggest you read up on it and familiarize yourself with it if you plan on being vocal about your opinions. You claim that "You can learn self control" and "You can stop yourself from gambling" but I think those are pretty bold statements from someone on the outside looking in. Self-help DOES work for some people, but others need help with overcoming their problems. Also I feel that you may need to consider that people accepting the fact that they have a problem is not a bad thing, it's the first step of getting help. I made this thread as a call for help from Brass seeing how I myself know that I am not in a good enough mindset to quit gambling on my own. You may call it a lack of self control but I simply don't agree. I have an addiction and I need help with getting over it, simple as that. With the help of Brass I am now able to fully walk away from my 50/50 addiction and it will overall help with reducing my exposure to situations where I find myself to be gambling. I think that things like this may go a long way and I don't see the harm in trying to confront the issues I have instead of sitting idly.
Find

Smoking is a physical addiction, you get physical withdrawals from it. Gambling is a mental addiction, meaning you aren’t physically dependent on it. You can’t compare the two. If you seriously have such little self discipline that you can’t control yourself from clicking a button you should honestly stop playing and take a break because adding a “ban” to 50/50 isn’t going to stop your addiction.

There’s a thing called gamblers anonymous if you seriously think you are addicted to gambling, i recommend looking into it. I’m sure they’ll take you seriously saying that you can’t stop gambling away a worthless virtual currency.

(12-23-2019, 10:49 PM)tobiasxz-usagi Wrote:  Smoking is a physical addiction, you get physical withdrawals from it. Gambling is a mental addiction, meaning you aren’t physically dependent on it. You can’t compare the two. If you seriously have such little self discipline that you can’t control yourself from clicking a button you should honestly stop playing and take a break because adding a “ban” to 50/50 isn’t going to stop your addiction.

There’s a thing called gamblers anonymous if you seriously think you are addicted to gambling, i recommend looking into it. I’m sure they’ll take you seriously saying that you can’t stop gambling away a worthless virtual currency.
Tobi please man READ. You are right with saying smoking and gambling shouldn't be compared, it was moreso used to draw the connection with how addictions usually look and behave.
I never claimed the 50/50 ban would "stop my gambling addiction" however it would MITIGATE MY EXPOSURE TO GAMBLING which in turn hopefully will help with reducing the severity of the current situation I'm in. The problem isn't only 50/50 on FRG but the problem stretches into my everyday as well Tobi which I have already pointed out in my third post which you clearly didn't bother to read either. Not to mention you are literally saying "Your should stop playing and take a break" i.e "just quit lol". If you actually want to contribute something here then you need to at least TRY to understand the mind of a compulsive gambler. I like FRG and I like playing it. What I didn't like was the 50/50 system which struck a chord with the gambling side of me. It got progressively worse hence why this thread was made. Any personal goals and stipulations I set to not use the system got overruled by the craving of more. It was overall unhealthy for me hence why I decided to ask Brass for help.

Jake and Tobias, the lack of empathy and knowledge is a bit disturbing.

Why do you think micro transactions are profitable, the fact that companies keep track of whales, and have classes to exploit folks who can't control themselves with gambling?

Now, let me play Devil's advocate here. He could be exaggerating a bit. Such as folks who claim they have OCD or depression on a whim. However, the way he's describing it and wants a solution, I'm very inclined to listen and believe him.

(12-24-2019, 02:01 AM)Beebee1303 Wrote:  the lake of empathy and knowledge is a bit disturbing.

(12-24-2019, 02:01 AM)Beebee1303 Wrote:  Jake and Tobias, the lake of empathy and knowledge is a bit disturbing.

Why do you think micro transactions are profitable, the fact that companies keep track of whales, and have classes to exploit folks who can't control themselves with gambling?

Now, let me play Devil's advocate here. He could be exaggerating a bit. Such as folks who claim they have OCD or depression on a whim. However, the way he's describing it and wants a solution, I'm very inclined to listen and believe him.

It's profitable because kids with their parents credit cards and a lot of people lacking self control. I want to spend lots of money on crates but I don't because I use my brain and know I can't afford to do that.

As you said, I view people that claim to have a gambling addiction the same way as people claiming to have depression when they are just simply unhappy. Big difference.
Find