Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[BUFF/CHANGE] Kunai

I'll prepare my argument.
As it stands, the Kunai play to be a very... interesting secondary to use.
To those unaware of how it works, you have the M1 attack which is a fast, 20/30/40 damage attack (limb/body/head), and then the M2 attack which is a slow, 45/90/150.

On paper, that sounds really, really good. Which would make sense, because the kunais are a godlike secondary. However, that's not such the case.
Given that the kunais are projectiles, they are very hard to hit targets with. So having to constantly readjust oneself's aim is hard enough, but when you consider that:
-the kunais have very odd hitboxes as a projectile, and usually just do limb damage towards targets running with guns out, meaning hits tend to do minimum damage
-the slow kunai is near impossible to aim, especially given that anyone can see it coming and walk out of its way
-vitality crystals make it so that you have to hit that many more projectiles, which though can be considered a "counter", makes the secondary very ineffective in this case

...you start to realize the weapon isnt so hot.
Now though, there is one part of the kunais that makes them worthwhile to use, and that is the "target lock" feature. The redeeming part of this weapon is how by pressing "R", the next M1 kunai you throw will mark the spot it connects to, which means if you hit a person, the next 3 M2 kunais you throw will chase after the player (with the third kunai having a delay before it can be thrown, and a 20s cooldown for target lock)

And this is where the kunai's issues come to. It has a great ability that makes it usuable and strong, but its base is so weak that you can only use it for its feature.
My proposal is that the kunai should either be allowed to play on its special feature more, or be given a stronger base and more properly execute its function as a secondary weapon.
And so:
(note: as this is a buff/change, the idea is to change how the kunais work but overall make them stronger. these ideas should reflect that)
Idea A, target-lock focused:
On release, the kunai's M2 kunais traveled faster and had no delay on its third shot. This idea is inspired by such.
The kunais would travel faster and have no 3rd shot delay. To make the target-lock really viable though, upon a kill the timer on the next target-lock shot goes down 10 seconds.
(so if you target-lock and miss, 20s delay, but if you get a kill its a 10s delay)
However, the base damage of both attacks would be reduced by 5.

Idea B, general-use focused:
One interesting thing about the kunais is that you can attack faster by alternating M1 and M2 attacks (they both have independent cooldowns)
To play on this, alongside giving M1 attack kunais a damage increase to 40/45/50, the kunais would have a faster firerate and travel faster altogether (still independence between a "fast" and "slow" kunai)
The caveat though would be on the target-lock feature, in which only the next two M2 kunais would track.

Idea C, 50-50:
For this, the M2 attack would require a rework. The base M1 kunai would do 30/40/50 damage, and travel at normal speed. But holding M2, you would throw 2 (a tap) to 5 (a full hold; charging a bar to max) strong kunais, which would always do just 60 damage.
You would still have access to pressing R to throw a target-lock kunai, but all M2 tracking kunais do half damage.

I personally prefer idea C, though I would be fine if it was used as inspiration for extinct kunais Smile
And, remember:
I've used kunais since they dropped, and I've been super passionate towards them, always making them my go-to secondary. Basically, I've used them a TON, so I'd like to say I have a good idea as to what would make them more proper and less janky.
When a dragon round begins.

From my experiences with it, it's a weapon with a very powerful ability except that it's way too unreliable. Sure if you lock it onto someone, it's a death sentence (unless you hit them in limb and they have vitality, please remove this bs crystal already). The real problem lies on how projectile works. It's slow and can easily be read. Miss your initial throw and you basically have to switch to your primary since M2 is near useless unless you somehow lineup your shot between your target and where the initial kunai hit. What I would like to see is an ability to cancel the lock-on whenever you want and have a slightly lower cooldown it. Also maybe a slight damage buff for the left click.
Find

+1 please buff i had a pair but i sold just cause of that (btw use tracking then hit them aim in air shoot if their in your area it should hit them in the head)
Find

+1 Fancy seems really sad about the state of the kunais and quite frankly that makes me sad as well.
Find

I was too lazy to read this but yeah I think some kinda rework would be neat.
From using it, I suggest the following:
  • Disable pre-round tracking.
  • Make tracking temporary (like 30 seconds and you lose tracking after).
  • Make left click throw WAY faster.
  • Reduce cooldown significantly between tracking.
  • Add visible cooldown timer with tracking.
  • Make right click kunais come back to you.
  • MAYBE let kunai tracking have soul tracking alongside of it (only right click?).

- That Thrakos Noob
Find

(11-19-2018, 07:24 PM)Unpoke Wrote:  I was too lazy to read this but yeah I think some kinda rework would be neat.
From using it, I suggest the following:
  • Disable pre-round tracking.
  • Make tracking temporary (like 30 seconds and you lose tracking after).
  • Make left right click throw WAY faster.
  • Reduce cooldown significantly between tracking.
  • Add visible cooldown timer with tracking.
  • Make right click kunais come back to you.
  • MAYBE let kunai tracking have soul tracking alongside of it (only right click?).

Find

power creep
Find

The Kunai were actually perfect when they were released, you could fire the right click instantly after marking a target and the firerate on the right click was at least triple what it is now. It doesnt need any of this fluff ya'll are suggesting, just make it pre nerf.
Find

(11-19-2018, 08:56 PM)Aresuft Wrote:  The Kunai were actually perfect when they were released, you could fire the right click instantly after marking a target and the firerate on the right click was at least triple what it is now. It doesnt need any of this fluff ya'll are suggesting, just make it pre nerf.

If thats easiest, that works fine.
Just giving suggestions under the assumption people didnt like pre-nerf.

Find

+1 buff bad secondary
Find