Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kraken Mega-thread [SPOILERS]

Has anyone try shooting the part of the kraken where it is showing that its doing a attack?

Maybe it will do something
Find

(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Some of my design choices with kraken though:
  • Eyes serve a purpose other than weak points(figure this out yourselves)
  • Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.
    I found it VERY odd that some people even thought tentacles stayed down at random intervals, with some 'respawning instantly'. That never happened, they are static timers with non-spiked staying down 15% longer, and upon-downing, they add downed time to other downed non-spiked ones
    The concept of it is a simple 'timed' minigame, where you must down all 8 tentacles within said time to deal damage to the boss.

The fight itself isn't complex due to the fact it can have up to 32 people, and has minimal scaling. Anything too complicated would be way too hard to manage with that many players. But, I make up for that in other ways, not fully disclosed.

I will end on the fact that you have a mistranslated line in one of the clues I left.

First and foremost thank you for your response here, I'm fascinated by the amount of effort and ingenuity you put into the fishing event itself and the Kraken fight overall. Your level of creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Secondly, about this excerpt;
(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.

As you mentioned people are targetting the easier to kill ones. Another issue with this is that the damage scales for loot, so a party pooper hanzo main *cough*excel*cough* could just "white knight" and only hurt spikey tentacles as a way to ensure they get the most loot/top dps. Depending on how the scaling for loot is currently would it be possible to adjust the distribution / dps count due to the difference here? A team player will get 5-7 damage per shot on a non spikey and when someone does the above mentioned behavior they are getting the chance to say they had the most effect in the fight when the truth is they were the lowest contributor.

Admittedly there is a level of salt with this as it can make the fight harder, but more-so the reason I bring it up is for that mindset and just like you said that was not the intention of how you made the event. I'm not sure how you could get around that issue other then making both tentacles take the same amount of damage but scaling the spikey tentacles hp down to compensate / simulate it being easier to kill. Just a thought overall.
Find

(10-05-2018, 06:03 PM)2koreds Wrote:  
(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Some of my design choices with kraken though:
  • Eyes serve a purpose other than weak points(figure this out yourselves)
  • Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.
    I found it VERY odd that some people even thought tentacles stayed down at random intervals, with some 'respawning instantly'. That never happened, they are static timers with non-spiked staying down 15% longer, and upon-downing, they add downed time to other downed non-spiked ones
    The concept of it is a simple 'timed' minigame, where you must down all 8 tentacles within said time to deal damage to the boss.

The fight itself isn't complex due to the fact it can have up to 32 people, and has minimal scaling. Anything too complicated would be way too hard to manage with that many players. But, I make up for that in other ways, not fully disclosed.

I will end on the fact that you have a mistranslated line in one of the clues I left.

First and foremost thank you for your response here, I'm fascinated by the amount of effort and ingenuity you put into the fishing event itself and the Kraken fight overall. Your level of creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Secondly, about this excerpt;
(10-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Brassx Wrote:  Different damages on each tentacle was at first a way to attempt to help promote targeting as a group and allow for slightly different strategies, as the tentacles themselves serve a much different purpose. Spikeys are generally less dangerous, so I was sure players would target the 'non spiked' ones as they are harder to kill, stay down longer, are more dangerous, and have multiple attacks: throwing headcrab spawners, rocks, and grabbing people. I was definitely wrong, and even in the fights right now I see people shooting spiked ones over non-spikeys because of how easy they are to down.

As you mentioned people are targetting the easier to kill ones. Another issue with this is that the damage scales for loot, so a party pooper hanzo main *cough*excel*cough* could just "white knight" and only hurt spikey tentacles as a way to ensure they get the most loot/top dps. Depending on how the scaling for loot is currently would it be possible to adjust the distribution / dps count due to the difference here? A team player will get 5-7 damage per shot on a non spikey and when someone does the above mentioned behavior they are getting the chance to say they had the most effect in the fight when the truth is they were the lowest contributor.

Admittedly there is a level of salt with this as it can make the fight harder, but more-so the reason I bring it up is for that mindset and just like you said that was not the intention of how you made the event. I'm not sure how you could get around that issue other then making both tentacles take the same amount of damage but scaling the spikey tentacles hp down to compensate / simulate it being easier to kill. Just a thought overall.

Non spikeys actually count for LESS score than the spiked ones, by a factor of 3, however, that's not quite enough and this should probably be re-balanced. (as the Spikeys take ~5x more damage)

The only thing that is 1:1 your damage when it comes to your 'score' is the main body of the Kraken.

I just did some rebalancing, we will see how that works.
Find

"THEEYESBRINGTHEPOWEROFTHEBEAST."
Is the correct translation, from as far as I can tell.

However, my statement about the "T" also being an "I" still stands.

If you take into the consideration that the lighting of the arena "I"s are strange in the video

at :07 seconds, maybe it has something to do with it.

I was thinking it might be a pigpen cipher, but all that gives you is HHI. I also don't feel Brass would have made it this complex, so I'm probably overlooking something minor. Bring me back down to Earth, guys. I'm going in too deep.

One other thought I had is that the riddle doesn't refer to the Kraken, but eyes elsewhere that help increase the odds of summoning him. Let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: Brass has told me that I'm too far down the rabbit hole. Disregard that part. "Just an artifact" was his official response.
Find

(10-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Brassx Wrote:  "THEEYESBRINGTHEPOWEROFTHEBEAST" and "THEEYESBRINGPOWERTOTHEBEAST" are two way different meanings.

Correct, and I may have figured it out now that I've been through another Kraken fight.

It's "The eyes bring power to the beast" fairly certain, unless interpretted wrong but regardless of the cypher;
When the tentacles go down we can shoot the kraken and deal damage. When we deal enough damage to the eyes they close. When the Kraken shoots his white ball attacks and ults his eyes pulsate with the same white power that he shoots at us, but not the ones that are closed.

It seems simple, but when the Kraken uses his personal attacks on us during the fight and not the tentacles I believe only one eye pulsates. I theorize that that particular eye is the one we need to focus, and perhaps when the tentacles re-grow if we close the eye that is bringing power to the beast, he may weaken and stop using his attacks, or reduce the frequency in his attacks. If not this, then perhaps breaking/closing the correct eye will disable the Kraken from using his ult.

It's possible that we have to break all of the eyes to disable or weaken the Kraken, but something tells me that that is too complex // he would probably die by the time it takes us to close all of them.

Thoughts???
Find

(09-27-2018, 01:38 AM)MicroBoss Wrote:  
(09-27-2018, 01:21 AM)Excel Wrote:  you legit stole my suggestion hello

Your slow

(09-27-2018, 01:28 AM)Kheyre Wrote:  Can we not call it fish fragment.

Literally anything else sounds good.

Key fragment hello

NO IT HAS TO BE WITH THE FISH THEME

lake fragment
krakin fragment
water fragment

(10-07-2018, 11:40 PM)2koreds Wrote:  
(10-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Brassx Wrote:  "THEEYESBRINGTHEPOWEROFTHEBEAST" and "THEEYESBRINGPOWERTOTHEBEAST" are two way different meanings.

Correct, and I may have figured it out now that I've been through another Kraken fight.

It's "The eyes bring power to the beast" fairly certain, unless interpretted wrong but regardless of the cypher;
When the tentacles go down we can shoot the kraken and deal damage. When we deal enough damage to the eyes they close. When the Kraken shoots his white ball attacks and ults his eyes pulsate with the same white power that he shoots at us, but not the ones that are closed.

It seems simple, but when the Kraken uses his personal attacks on us during the fight and not the tentacles I believe only one eye pulsates. I theorize that that particular eye is the one we need to focus, and perhaps when the tentacles re-grow if we close the eye that is bringing power to the beast, he may weaken and stop using his attacks, or reduce the frequency in his attacks. If not this, then perhaps breaking/closing the correct eye will disable the Kraken from using his ult.

It's possible that we have to break all of the eyes to disable or weaken the Kraken, but something tells me that that is too complex // he would probably die by the time it takes us to close all of them.

Thoughts???

Good observations 2k, I think that disabling/closing all 6 eyes just kills the kraken. On the last fight, I noticed after the last eye was closed, the kraken fight ended. It could all be a coincidence and we did enough damage to it or that I'm blind.
Find

(10-07-2018, 11:40 PM)2koreds Wrote:  It's "The eyes bring power to the beast"

No, it's "THE EYES BRING THE POWER OF THE BEAST". Not rocket science, someone just misread it when they finished the translation from Morse code somehow...?

(10-07-2018, 11:40 PM)2koreds Wrote:  It seems simple, but when the Kraken uses his personal attacks on us during the fight and not the tentacles I believe only one eye pulsates. I theorize that that particular eye is the one we need to focus, and perhaps when the tentacles re-grow if we close the eye that is bringing power to the beast, he may weaken and stop using his attacks, or reduce the frequency in his attacks. If not this, then perhaps breaking/closing the correct eye will disable the Kraken from using his ult.

Thoughts???

However, I've never noticed the pulsating eye. If I get a chance, I'll try to take a look and shoot at it the next time we fight it. It seems reasonable, and it might even disrupt the attack if you deal enough damage to it, should it actually be vulnerable. Thanks for the observation.
Find

(10-10-2018, 12:31 AM)Nivendo Wrote:  
(10-07-2018, 11:40 PM)2koreds Wrote:  It seems simple, but when the Kraken uses his personal attacks on us during the fight and not the tentacles I believe only one eye pulsates. I theorize that that particular eye is the one we need to focus, and perhaps when the tentacles re-grow if we close the eye that is bringing power to the beast, he may weaken and stop using his attacks, or reduce the frequency in his attacks. If not this, then perhaps breaking/closing the correct eye will disable the Kraken from using his ult.

Thoughts???

However, I've never noticed the pulsating eye. If I get a chance, I'll try to take a look and shoot at it the next time we fight it. It seems reasonable, and it might even disrupt the attack if you deal enough damage to it, should it actually be vulnerable. Thanks for the observation.

Tested, this is not the case. We fought Kraken and broke all of his eyes. He still used his attacks including his ult, and was not dead. I have heard eyes are 80% of his overall hp.

I have noticed when Kraken charges his attacks one of his eyes (usually the top left one) pulsates white. I have found during this time you can damage this eye in particular, however I haven't been able to have enough focus fire to see if we can cancel the attack during this, but I assume we can if we damage it enough.
Find

Killing all 6 eyes unlocks a new drop - the "Enraged Eye". It has a 100% drop rate for whoever deals the most Eye Damage, and a much more uncommon chance for the top 6 players.

This item can be used in the bait socket of an "Ancient Rod", and allows you to catch items from its very own loot table, with a minimum of an ancient key/hard challenge scroll. its table also has its very own unique godlike weapon. It's one use per eye, and it is consumed upon activating the QTE when fishing with it, so you will lose it if you fail the QTE as well as if you do it successfully.

The item is stackable, and there's still more to figure out with it.
Find

Can't wait for gemstone + ancient key + ancient gemstone while kraken eye in slot and having a single ancient crate in your inventory.
Find