Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Patchnotes 09/22/2018

As someone who spent 7 hours sitting on the lake, I'll share my experience.

Buy the rod for 5k. repair it about 8 times + the full durability when bought (so 45k so far on just the beginner). I then bought the 1250 fish buck rod and have been much happier with how much durability it has compared to the starter. But then there's the two lures I bought.
There's also better miscellaneous stuff that probably hasn''t shown up yet so I won't be so critical towards the grind yet and I have to treat this as not getting the full picture yet.

Fishing rod:
The durability for the first rod is just crazy small. I know you said that it's to get people off the starter rod as quick as possible, but having such a high start up is crazy. I also had to spend that much coins while someone could get a rod in the first five times they reel. It's not that much of a problem for me as I have the coins to go constantly, but what about the people that keep getting bad fish/terranables. And then after that, its like around 1k to repair some rods which is really nice.

Lures:
Neither of them seemed to do much. Lure 4 especially didn't seem to do much and was pretty much wasted as I didn't fail letters but it still took durability and the few times I messed up on purpose and still never got any of the times I failed one letter. Not going to diss them yet as they might be more lenient lure that you can catch that we haven't gotten. I also can't knock them because they're free in a way, but you can totally just not get the value of what you paid.

Money and Items:
And then there's nothing to profit off of. We just seem to get fish, to get fish bucks to get more fishing related things. The only weapons that you get commonly are terranable which means tier 3 keys that aren't that good. It just made me feel like I spent 45k to spend 45k, not that I spent it on something worth the chance. There's a few useful things that you can get from fishing, but it seems like majority of them so far are fishing rods, so that just goes back into "what am I doing this for". There's no sort of return on what I spent which is boring. I fear that tradeable fishing rods already aren't worth as much as people want to begin with.

I thought there was going to be at least some accessories in this. This instead of terranables

Granted, there's some form of boss fight hidden during this, but it doesn't seem all too common and that's good. I won't judge that part since I don't know anything about it yet.

Strategy:
So what I think is currently the best way to fish without wasting coins is to:
  • Ignore two and three letter fish when you have starter pole. They're not worth the durability and the fish aren't sold for much.
  • Ignore especially three letter fish. You're probably getting a terranable.
  • Should really only go for long letter fish. Even then, why is the swordfish(primordial) sell for less than an eel(legendary).
  • Ignore any fish that aren't big if you have a lure. Lures get used up even if you proceed to do things like not mess up a letter for lure 4, meaning there's no reason to use your durability on something easy.
  • Don't even bother using lures unless you want to wait out the 2 and 3 letters as the rate they go down doesn't usually match the cost of what you paid.

I realize that this is just a passive way to play FRG when no one is on TTT, but there's a small reason to do it so far as long as you're fine with losing money in the long run due to repairing your rod for bragging rights.

What was the point of buying the bridge? Just wondering.
Find

Yeah, I've known for awhile now that FUN is no longer a leading factor in whether or not something is worth doing. Everything must be about profits, or have some reason to do it, and because of that, I'm well aware that fishing for fish alone is not something a lot of people will do long-term, as they get minimum pay-out from it.  I won't disclose any info not found out just yet though that tells you what I mean.

The sunken chest at the bottom of the lake contains a few unique weapons that will be worth quite a bit, as well as containing clue-scrolls. The drop rates are still actively being adjusted, and more 'non-fish' items will be added to the actual 'fish table' sometime soon.

There will eventually be 'quests' you can do for bonus fish bucks, thus certain lure types will be much more useful.

There's 7 or so 'higher end' fish that are disabled right now too. I also have plans to have some form of unique 'crate' or 'roll' that you can only buy with the 'fish currency' from Mack.

You should ask around/check discord to see the little 'puzzle trail' I set up that give some subtle hints about certain mechanics at play behind the scenes. There's more than meets the eye with it currently, and one day of experience (which is mostly just balance/bug testing, with some features disabled) is not enough time, nor really fair to judge if its fully worth it, strictly from a payout standpoint.

I will say, not a single thing will directly pay out pure coins. All of the returns are in items, or 'indirect coins' (challenge scrolls).
Find

This is what I wanted to know. Of course we don't know everything, but this is basically what we are suppose to be expected if someone were to be fishing for hours a day - normally bad loot but sometimes something good. In this case, my first day was pretty much to get set up for an actual normal day, because overall it was an expensive one time thing. It's still a fun thing to wait on while not doing much.

It's fine that it's not going to give coins and I encourage that new content shouldn't always be about them. I think that if this were to be the final version with some sort of more common valuable thing that people will want - like the orb of healing - that it would all be worth it in the end. Again, the community doesn't know all of it yet and won't know for a few days or maybe longer which is fair.

I just wanted to share my experience because I know that people aren't going to be able to kickstart their fishing progress day one and wanted them to know that it's a tough one and that they'll have to save a good amount of money for it.

Fishing will be my downtime while I play osrs on my tablet tbh.
Find