Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FRG MAPPING COMPETITION (FOR REAL)

FORERUNNER GAMING
MAPPING COMPETITON

Welcome to the FRG Mapping Competition!

We will be launching our first mapping competition (and probably only, I have no idea. I'm not expecting a lot). This competition has a theme, an expectation, and a new gamemode for FRG.

The Gamemode

DEATHMATCH by Twentysix is a new gamemode currently in the works for FRG. For the next (or one of the next) playtests we will host the maps and play through each one.
Deathmatch will come with new gamemodes, Capture the Flag, Control Points and King of The Hill.

The Map Theme

MAP THEME IS HALO!
Yes, we will be using Halo's aesthetic to make our maps (if you somehow didn't guess that)! Afterall, Halo is an iconic arena-shooter. There are plenty of maps from Halo that stand the test of time.

Halo? There aren't any Halo textures in Gmod or CSS Confusedillychamp:
You can use (or make your own) a Halo Texture Pack I use frequently in my TDM/BR maps (You've played them before).
Here's some images (br_hang_em_low and br_constitute)
Can I recreate a Halo map?
Although I love the original Halo1/3 maps, I'm going to say no. Use Halo as inspiration but make a map that has originality. A map I made using halo textures that's original, for example, was br_space_dementia.
Why this theme?
I think I'm setting a bar that everyone can accomplish with time and effort. It's a design I like to make from time to time when I want to make something that looks good and simplistic while not taking up a lot of my time for.
At the bottom of this thread, I'll leave a download to the textures and instruct where to place them!

Enough with the theme! Lets talk business...

THE CRITERIA

A map takes a lot of steps to complete. While it is easy to get started and really to create a first map, it takes experience to learn detailing and the back ends of source mapping. I am looking for the best that you can do! Even if you don't have enough experience on the tool, with time, effort and patience you can create anything you like!

For Deathmatch, we will provide some gamemodes for Twentysix to playtest with.

So, what are the criterias?
  • The map follows the Halo Theme. You don't have to use solely the Halo pack, but you can mix your own textures in you want to use.
  • The map shows creativity, while also being simplistic in its layout and, as vague as it sounds, fun. Adding gimmicks to your maps (like jump pads, for example) add some uniqueness to it. Just don't go overboard and don't use low gravity. It sucks in multiplayer. I'm looking for quality, not perfection, and no ttt_ouhhh map designs please.
  • Your map needs to provide AT LEAST one of the three special gamemodes in Deathmatch. Capture the Flag, Control Points, or King of the Hill. I will provide a download of the .FGD and instructions of how to set them up in Hammer (as well as a basic overview of each gamemode).
  • The map follows basic techniques and optimizations. Basically, if the map is optimized, you're doing good (there's a lot more to it but I'm not gonna get worked up on it). Remember that in the servers, maps have drastically reduced frames than singleplayer. For the most part, use func_details and areaportals.
  • The map is packed correctly with all of its assets. I will ask for the .bsps before the end date to make sure I can see your assets. If you need help on packing I can assist. Make sure the assets you are using can be packed in the first place (for example, don't use shit from gmod servers you downloaded, packing tools wont recognize it as custom assets, including FRG's models and assets).

Guidelines
  • The map follows FRG Guidelines
  • The map works...
  • You may collab in a project with one other player, however, you can only submit one map you worked on together.
  • Cannot use TF2, L4D2 or Portal assets unless correctly packed into the map. CSS is the exception to this.

THE JUDGES

With all that, who is judging the competition. I will not be the sole judge, but I will have help from Brass and Twentysix. I will be the hardass on the quality of the map. The map should look like it's been done to a standard of server release and playability.
Brass and Twentysix will most likely focus on gameplay and map design. Is the map fluent and does it fit the standard for the mode.

I will be asking for the .vmf as well. If you don't trust me for any understandable reason, you can always publish the map on the Steam Workshop first and private it to claim it as your own. I will be deleting these .vmfs after the competition

What do I get if I win??
Uhhh, I haven't thought of that yet. If Brass wants to whip up some goated stacked weapon I think thats a nice reward. Maybe I'll buy a game for you on Steam too? idk yet.
Either way, all playable maps will stay on the TDM server, and you can update your map at anytime if you feel like doing so.

The competition will end either at the end of June, or mid July. Before I give a set deadline, I will ask individually where everyone is currently at with their projects, and make an assumption after.
Start mapping, bitches

I will provide a temporary discord channel for mappers participating, so DM if you are participating

DOWNLOADS

Halo Texture Pack
https://gamebanana.com/mods/6192
CSS materials folder -
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\materials
GMOD materials folder -
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\materials

Mapping Competition Stuff and Prefabs (including the TDM .FGD)
COMING SOON! SORRY I'LL GET IT DONE LATER TONIGHT

glhf lets do it
DN
Find

i have no idea how to do anything in hammer game mode specific anymore, nor can i remember how to use 90 percent of hammer in general, but fuckit im in
Find