The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What a day.

You may have been wondering what exactly happened yesterday. I'll explain it here.

I went to bed late after doing the 1v1 tourney, I was woken up soon after with word that Inventories weren't loading. I woke up, checked it out, the database server was stuck in an infinite loop of starting up and shutting down. A scheduled update went sideways according to the host.

Anyways, that wasn't a problem because I was able to access it and dump the database files off of it using a separate boot drive. Plus even if I couldn't FRG's databases are backed up daily automatically offsite. So I wasn't too worried about that. I decided to wipe the entire machine after getting the database files off of it, and re set it up from scratch, then re-upload the database files to it. That was going smoothly, however, while in the middle of this, my personal HDD shot up to 100% disk usage when I tried to open a folder. It froze windows, eventually freezing everything leading me to shut it off manually.

After I did that, it would not reboot. I took the HDD out and it booted up fine. I then tried to put the drive in grass' pc, and went thru a bunch of bullshit to get that to work. It showed up in windows/bios, but I couldn't browse it. It would slow her pc way the fuck down trying to access it. So I decided to take it out and potentially try getting into it some other day with linux.

I have a network accessed storage device I purchased with 2 4TB HDD's setup with a RAID 1 setup. I did this a few months ago when I noticed my HDD acting up. The problem was I focused almost purely on backing up all of my gmod work, I didn't really think about my personal files as much so I missed a decent chunk of those. The last time I backed up my gmod stuff was the 10th at 5 AM, so I only lost a day and half's worth of work on tribulation.  I can live with that. The problem is, I lost a lot of my personal files and projects outside of gmod. Webserver stuff, side projects, source for the FRG launcher, other tools I've built, etc.

Ontop of that, a really really dumb user error on my end made me lose the master passwords to the admin/root accounts to all of our servers. I saved them in an encrypted file, but like a dumbass I named it something generic, not realizing I had another file named the same thing in a different directory from well before this file. So.. when I originally backed up 'important files' I backed up the wrong fucking password file.

I still had access to the servers because I had the passwords saved and encrypted in windows credential manager, but there wasn't any up to date methods to obtain those. But since I still had access under the admin/root accounts, I managed to resolve it in the end. Dodged a bullet there.

All of this running on ~ 2 hours of sleep. I had a massive migraine, and probably lost years of my life due to the stress levels alone.  

I'm happy to say everything is running smoothly now, I have a new HDD in place and I'm in the middle of transferring all my gmod files back to it.  For now, and as much as I can tell, the only thing I lost of immediate importance is the tedious work I did on trib during the 10th. Which was basically the final thing I needed to do before the last big test. I'll be redoing it all tonight once I get everything setup again. I will also be issuing a goodie bag for the downtime. Thank you all for your patience, especially with how long Tribulation has been taking.

Messages In This Thread
What a day. - Brassx - 06-12-2021, 05:52 PM
RE: What a day. - Philip - 06-12-2021, 05:53 PM
RE: What a day. - Seally Energy - 06-12-2021, 06:04 PM
RE: What a day. - Geeaster, Thanks - 06-12-2021, 06:10 PM
RE: What a day. - Manzy - 06-12-2021, 06:13 PM
RE: What a day. - Not John Smith - 06-12-2021, 06:52 PM
RE: What a day. - Dreadark - 06-12-2021, 07:43 PM
RE: What a day. - Beebee1303 - 06-12-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: What a day. - Unknown - 06-13-2021, 02:05 PM