Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Inventory Sound????<<<

I was going to make a post on the patchnotes thread after firsthand experiencing the "inventory sounds" but I was informed that I actually did not actually read the patch notes and that it was already in place and that's where I was double blinded. You see this would be right my alley as the thing I would post about, the largest things I let most people go over which is one of the first things on the patchnotes and move my way down when making a post but this time I picked wrong.

So that is where this newly typed thread comes in as there is a complaints section but no compliment section for structured feedback on what I actually like so let me make a thread here.
It may seem like it's a small, insignificant thing to make a post over but that is what makes it special. The update I judged as the big one was the small one and the large one (arcane buff) was the one I saw as a smaller one making this a hidden gem in plain sight which makes no sense but mind you it really does.

So inventory sounds are here, right? Drove me absolutely nuts...
Firstly they were practically inaudible to me until brought up by someone randomly
and then all I could hear is ticking every time I moved my mouse or dragged an item

I began to question all I knew was right in the world, until enlightened by the options.
Lo and behold there is every option under the sun I could ever need (wait for it).

My opinion has shifted a full 180 and now I'm a firm believer in this update being perfect in every single way
An update relatively small in scope that I doubt anyone has ever wanted/knew they wanted
Literally only makes a sound, which would absolutely drive me nuts
Except that it came with a function to selectively adjust each volume sound and even mute if I so choose
That's all I ever wanted in an update like this until...

I cranked it to maximum volume and this happens

Magnificent.

do you butter your popcorn
When a dragon round begins.

Find

Cool story bro.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⠉⠒⠊⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⢧⠔⣉⠤⠒⠒⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣆
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⠀⠀⣤⠶⠶⢶⡄
⠀⣀⠤⠒⢺⠒⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠤⠊⠀⢸⠀⡿⠀⡀⠀⣀
⠀⠀⣠⠴⠚⢯⡀⠐⠒⠚⠉⠀⢶⠂⠀⣀⠜⠀⢿⡀⠉⠚⠉⣠
⠀⠠⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙  ⣴⠒⠒⣲⢔⠉⠉⣹⣞⣉⣈⠿⢦⣀

Find

Quote:The options are 1-45. These are sound indexes, so you can choose different sounds per Inventory Action currently to customize your UI experience more.

Each number is an entirely different sound effect, not volume level alone. The reason is, everyone has a different opinion on what might sound 'better', so picking out one universal sound for each action would just be too bothersome this late into the UI.

But yeah, I figured some most of you wouldn't like it, but it's strange to me as a developer and a gamer, because it's an EXTREMELY common thing to have sound effects bundled with your UI.. It marks a polished interface and gives a subconscious 'satisfying' feeling when paired with actions. Albeit I probably didn't pick the best default sounds, but that can easily change.

If It was bundled with the system at first, I can almost guarantee it wouldn't bother any of you, because you're already used to the quiet actions. Thus why there's plenty options/an option to disable it.

This was more of an update for myself personally, as it always bothered me that sounds were planned/supported, but not added. Almost every UI that I've ever made (up until GMOD) has used sound effects, so it was a normal thing for me to do really, and I enjoy it. I've always fiddled around with Menus/UI's in games that have satisfying sounds, so it's a thing for me.

I know players of FRG tend to hate almost ANY change, and somewhere along the line I let that get in the way of making stuff I want to make(for far too long). So I've decided to just say fuck it, and do what I enjoy without worrying too much if you guys will like it. Not to say I won't listen to feedback though.