Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cut back on suicide jokes

Before I even start this, I am aware that yes, this is the internet, and suicide jokes being here are a given, but in the past couple days, I've heard it more times than any other time in my life. It's starting to get out of hand.
This is going to sound really dumb here, but it IS a federal law, that telling someone to commit suicide is a crime punishable by jail time, or worse. It gets better.
Now, this has probably happened very few times in a gaming community, but if you tell someone to commit suicide and they actually do, it CAN be traced back to you, whether it be on a suicide note or something else, and if it is traced back, it is considered first-degree murder in many states.
I am not going to preach much longer, so just stick with me for a little bit longer. I'm not trying to villainize anybody here, nor am I treating someone's death as a lesson to garner sympathy, and I've most likely said some stuff similar to this too, but not even 4 months ago, a student at my school committed suicide. It is VERY real.

I'm not campaigning a war against suicide jokes, nor am I saying it should be added to the rules, but I truly think the community as a whole should cut back on saying things like this.
Umpty Dumpty

No one kills themselves because someone tells them to. And if you're referring to the court case where that girl forced that boy to kill himself in his car, that's completely different. The only way you can be legeally liable is if you play a vitals role in their suicide, so no you won't go to jail for telling someone to kill themselves online, especially in a video game. Yeah, people kill themselves, people killed themselves in my high school too. There is no correlation between telling someone to kill themselves and them doing it online. People say it so often that the phrase has lost its meaning so most people saying it are not actually wishing death upon you. Suicide has been an issue for many years, not saying it on a gaming forum / Garry's mod will have no effect on anything.

I totally agree with you, yes. But however if someone kills themself over what someone said over the internet, over a video game mind you, they werent really emotionally ready in the first place. Suicide jokes are very serious but it is part of the internet at this point which is sad.
Find

If someone says anything malicious towards anyone, this includes telling them to kill themselves, a staff member here will definitely step in and stop whatever conflict is going on. We are here to try to protect you guys as well as enforce the rules so everybody can have fun. Although I do agree it should be cut down as we don't know what people are going through, a majority of the time it's more meant to be a joke. If being told to do so gives you genuine consideration of doing it, talk to a friend, talk to a school counselor, or talk to your parents. It's not something to be ashamed of and it's not abnormal to ask for a little help.

- That Thrakos Noob

Just like unpoke said, if you are seriously considering killing yourself, find someone to talk to. I've been there too deeply to forget the pain but I now having the support of friends to steer me away from that.

I usually just take it as s joke but sometimes it does hit me.

i think they just mean type kill in console
First to 1m Coins
First to 1k Survive Tickets

It's wishful thinking to expect people to be nice to each other on the internet in a gaming community.

You can enforce it as much as you want it just won't be clear to some people.

The thread may as well be titled "be nice to each other" but I appreciate the effort
Find

I'm Canadian, your laws mean nothing to me Amerimutt!
But if I tell someone to neck themselves, that's just an Australian joke and its entirely satirical. If something like that is bothering a friend, I'm more than happy to stop doing it. Permanently. (Unless I forget because my memory sucks). Sorry if that was one of the reasons you posted this. I don't mean it in any remotely offensive way. Everybody else basically has the same opinion, but as Brass has said before: We're free to do as we want, but keep dumb shit off of his servers.

Also, I'm on 25mg/day of Fluoxetine, while also being on Lorazepam, so I know a thing or two about depression, man. I'm currently drugged up for it. It isn't a joke but people are too soft-skinned. As long as someone isn't harassing you, it isn't an issue.

If someone IS directly harassing YOU, or you're worried they are harassing someone else, please report them on the forums, because that is -not- okay.

edit: that's 25mg of fluoxetine and 0.5mg of lorazepam, not 25mg of both. i think that'd kill anybody.

Or you just build a bridge and get your ass over it
Minehuis: Pancakes
Rangerdanger0: Waffles
Rangerdanger0: lol rekt