Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Damage Dropoff

Hello I'm making this thread about damage dropoff, and specifically damage dropoff for SMGs (mac10, mp5, mini-uzi, tmp)

I ask specifically these weapons because after using them occasionally I've noticed that a lot of them have a very short damage drop-off.

I've recorded a video here to demonstrate what I mean. I've included one clip before round and during round to sort of show this and how it works.

Note this is a discussion and not a suggestion so I'd like to ask a few questions to the community

How do you feel about damage dropoff for the SMGs*?

Is Damage Dropoff on the SMGs* (Good/Okay/Bad)?

How often do you use SMGs*?

*this includes godlikes such as the bloodfury and daybreak and excludes the Aug/Famas/Galil)
Find

I never really payed attention to the damage dropoff, mostly because I hardly use SMGs, but it seems a little ridiculous right now. Maybe lower how much it drops off by a little.

I don't really want more guns to have damage dropoff, because with SMGS, it's understandable. You wouldn't want to get mowed down within a second by a mac10 or something from all the way across the map because of its high firerate. But if damage dropoff were to be added to more guns like a galil or something, it would be near impossible to get a ranged kill without a rifle, especially considering how intensely the damage drops for SMGs right now.

If the amount of damage that is dropped of was lowered by a reasonable amount, then MAYBE I would be alright with it, but I feel it would just get way too annoying as it is now.
Find

Keep in mind, it's headshot damage that falls off with SMG's. Not like shotguns where it's both.

It's also built into TTT by default for the MAC10 to dampen headshot damage.

But what kuro's agenda really is, is the newly added 'headshot damage falloff' for Frostburns. A pistol(or pistols if you're going by the model. It's actually just a single weapon without the model in mind) with good accuracy, 40 clip, decent firerate, and deals 55 damage upon headshot at any range.

My reason behind selecting that specific nerf was 'what would harm these weapons the least?'

Options I've considered but decided against currently:
  • Lowering their damage completely.
  • Lowering headshot multiplier.
  • Nerfing it's accuracy so you can only use them at close range.

I felt all of those were a bit too much and would hurt them, their value, and the fact they are 'best in slot'. The frostburns are supposed to be 'the best secondary' item currently.

So I went with: Falling off the headshot damage from 55 close up to 35 at a range. Nerfing its accuracy would hurt the weapons overall more than the headshot falloff (it's not a short range either), thus the choice to start with was the falloff. Accuracy is my next choice only if this isn't enough.

But he wants it changed to accuracy for 'consistency' - "It doesn't make sense for it to be the only secondary with headshot damage falloff." He also stated he would be okay with it if it were added to all pistols.

So let's change the questions:

Do you care about consistency?(all pistols should have the same/similar behavior). Do you think a headshot damage falloff on Frostburns is an okay solution to their long-distance power or a bad one? Do new weapon types have to follow standards set by previous weapons in the same category?
Find

(10-15-2017, 07:21 AM)Brassx Wrote:  But what kuro's agenda really is, is the newly added 'headshot damage falloff' for Frostburns. A pistol(or pistols if you're going by the model. It's actually just a single weapon without the model in mind) with good accuracy, 40 clip, decent firerate, and deals 55 damage upon headshot at any range.

My reason behind selecting that specific nerf was 'what would harm these weapons the least?'

Options I've considered but decided against currently:
  • Lowering their damage completely.
  • Lowering headshot multiplier.
  • Nerfing it's accuracy so you can only use them at close range.

I felt all of those were a bit too much and would hurt them, their value, and the fact they are 'best in slot'. The frostburns are supposed to be 'the best secondary' item currently.

So I went with: Falling off the headshot damage from 55 close up to 35 at a range. Nerfing its accuracy would hurt the weapons overall more than the headshot falloff (it's not a short range either), thus the choice to start with was the falloff. Accuracy is my next choice only if this isn't enough.

But he wants it changed to accuracy for 'consistency' - "It doesn't make sense for it to be the only secondary with headshot damage falloff." He also stated he would be okay with it if it were added to all pistols.

So let's change the questions:

Do you care about consistency?(all pistols should have the same/similar behavior). Do you think a headshot damage falloff on Frostburns is an okay solution to their long-distance power or a bad one? Do new weapon types have to follow standards set by previous weapons in the same category?

Hey uh, not to burst your bubble but after ranting to you how I thought it was a bad idea to single out the frostburns to apply it to I wanted to look at the previous cases where it was used and decided this was a bigger issue

While it may seem like I'm trying to leapfrog topics here this is legitimately only about SMGs, I'm not trying to tie associate this at all with frostburns or pistols. Honestly one of the reasons I was so against the frostburn change was due to how badly I associated the damage dropoff with the SMGs in the first place.

If I wanted to make a thread discussing frostburns I would have just done that. I just think this is a bigger issue for "consistency".
This thread is just for community input on SMG related damage drop-off. I'll adjust the questions to better reflect that.

I'll message you later about frostburns as that isn't the topic for this thread
Find

Or we leave them the way they are because its apart of vanilla TTT, and there's no reason to change it.

They're already powerful close range weapons. There is no reason for them to get any better at mowing down an entire room.

You're not suppose to be sniping with a mac10.

(10-15-2017, 03:35 PM)tobiasxz Wrote:  Or we leave them the way they are because its apart of vanilla TTT, and there's no reason to change it.

They're already powerful close range weapons. There is no reason for them to get any better at mowing down an entire room.

You're not suppose to be sniping with a mac10.
oops

i think we should just have laser beam bullets
Find

Eh well. Technically I'm being consistent by using a method of balancing the maker of TTT uses himself (I did not create the headshot damage falloff on weapons. I'm using a method he did to balance the MAC10 and default shotguns).

If headshot damage dropoffs were removed from SMG's, they would be too similar to assault rifles. SMGs should be much better close than far, but again, it's only the Headshot damage that falls off, which you fail to mention everytime.

So rephrase: Do you think HEADSHOT DAMAGE falloff is a big deal? Or do you personally not really care?
Find

Imo primaries should all be able to headshot long range, considering most secondaries are capable.
"Closest thing I have had to alcohol is chocolate milk... Don't quote me on that!"
"Please somebody use this as a signature to remember this day."-Catbug
Find

I think balance is more important. Most games have drop off and stuff anyway so its nothing too crazy
Find