Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dev blog #2 (April 2017 - Realms only!)

I know the timing of this post in not the greatest (April fools day), but I assure you nothing about this is related to April fools.

So, Realms!
Or as my bad logo/name says:

I'm sure you guys have heard of it by now, no? Well to summarize, it's this project I've been working on as a new big step for FRG, it's a world where you can jump in, kill some enemies, get some loot and have some fun. So far it's gained an overwhelming amount of support, which I'm very thankful for!

Now, let's talk specifics, I have a lot of the framework of realms pretty constructed. First off, let's talk about the Damage system realms currently is setup for:

Realms will have quite the interesting damage mechanics.
  • All weapons will have a maximum effective range, which will give each weapon it's place and role.
    This is in place to ensure different weapon types may be preferred over others, depending on the enemies you are fighting. I feel this should make things quite interesting.
  • Damage will NOT be a consistent number. Don't panic, this doesn't mean the damage stat on your weapon is useless. This simply means in Realms, more is at play. Instead of outputting a static damage number based on your weapon alone, you will output a range between a calculated min damage, and your weapons max damage. You WILL have a chance to hit 0's based on something disclosed later on in this post.

Moving on, Realms will have it's own Player Progression through what I'm calling "Combat Levels". Every Combat Level you gain you will gain "Player Level XP". Player Level is your current Level on TTT/Lobby/Survive, etc. Not only will you gain some Player Level XP, you will gain an attribute point.

So, when you slay an enemy in Realms, you gain Combat Experience, which in turn helps to level up your "Combat Level".

Once you have an Attribute Point ( AP ), you can then spend it on specific attributes for your player(will disclose attributes at a later date). These attributes will help you fully utilize your weapons, making it so you hit less zeros, have a more accurate damage range, longer fire range, etc. As well as give an entirely new progression aspect to give people something to work for. Not to mention it helps make it so veteran players with lots of really good items can't jump in and just destroy all the mobs with ease. You have to work for it no matter what weapons you start with!

So to summarize that, in order to utilize your weapons to the fullest, you must gain Combat Levels and spend AP on attributes to increase your effectiveness with your weapons on Realms. This is open to feedback/suggestions. if you don't really like this it can be changed. However, I love this aspect, it really keeps things interesting and opens up more options to balance enemies for me.

Now, lets talk enemies.

Realms will feature quite a few unique enemies of various difficulties. Each enemy will have a name and a "Combat Level" of their own, as well as a "Defense stat". This stat will be used in the damage calculations along side with your players attribute stats to determine the damage, or a possible 'miss'. The higher defense an enemy has, the more likely you will be to miss. Missing just means you hit a 0! This opens a very good way for me to make things interesting. (it also helps determine your proc chance on any applicable suffixes/traits)

All enemies will have this little health bar that displays their name, level, and HP. Their name/level color correlates to your Combat Level, meaning if their level/name is green, they are lower level than you. If they are orange/red, they are higher level, and thus tougher to kill. The health bar will only show up when they are damage by you or you look at them.
(damage numbers disabled for this one Wink )

Enemies will have an "Aggro range", or so I'm calling it; This means if the enemy wanders too far outside of this radius for too long, they will "Reset", which will cause them to stop attacking you, run back to their spawn area and regenerate HP. This stops players from kiting enemies around some of the zones, or bringing tougher enemies to 'newbier' zones.

Enemies will also have a rare, 'named'(or boss) version of them. These are tougher than the normal variant, but offer more XP/Loot/possibly unique loot.

On to the map!

The current Realms map is a good Starting point. It's not quite what I want the FULL map to be, but it will work great for the beta and for 'starter' areas. I won't reveal too much about the map, but I will state there are four zones connected by tunnels and I'd say each zone is approximately 6,000x6,000 units. The map is pretty well optimized and all 'trees' have a fairly small fade-out distance. It also has a relatively low render distance and a fog to help cover that up.

Welp, that's really all I wanted to share with you guys for now. There's still quite a bit more left unsaid, but I don't want to ruin all of the surprises!

I will however answer a few commonly asked questions:
  1. Will there be Items unique to Realms?
    Yes.. There will be DROPS that you can only obtain on realms, and SOME items you can only USE on realms, however, all items will remain in your GLOBAL inventory across all servers. You just may not be able to actually use some on some servers.
  2. Will realms be a fresh start?(blank Inventories)
    No it won't be. The reasoning is I don't want to 'split' the community anymore than this may already do. I want to give players alternative ways to progress through FRG without being forced to play TTT to do so. You certainly have the option to scrap your Inventory and start fresh though!
  3. Will there be PvP?
    Currently I don't have any framework laid out for PVP, but it's certainly a possibility in the future. I know Aresuft had some cool PVP ideas for it
  4. Will there be 'classes' on realms that players can pick?
    Well. Kind of? You can build your player to be more of a tank, or DPS. Along with that I plan to have special items(like staffs) that do things a class might do (like group healing/buffing/debuffing enemies, etc), but besides that there aren't really any laid out classes for a player to select. They kind of decide how they want to play themselves with no starting UI dictating their role
  5. Will there be any dungeon type stuff?
    Well, you will have to wait and see for this one Wink

If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

first kappa
Find

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!
If you didn't have any weapons out, I would of thought this wasn't even GMod. I'M STOKED.
Umpty Dumpty
Find

ETA on Realms and/or Beta?
Find

Brass, do you not get sleep just to do these things? You posted that at like 2 am for me. Unless your in a different time zone but jeez.
Find

Brass is crazy, but anyway when is the beta mate i will play this, over 850 hours of ttt in 2 years is kinda boring at a point
(i have 902 hours of gmod... mostly ttt... my life has been wasted...)

Something new is always great, and something that also helps me progress in frg already signed up

P.S
TJ is a scrub

Love Gold
(C# does not appreciate me lately ;-; )
Mary has entered the Server.
G01dmaster: NO!
G01dmaster has left the Server.
Find

Looks and sounds awesome from what you've said Brass, can't wait for its release since I kind of cameback for realms.
Find

Is it going to be on GMod or a seperate launcher like Voslom?
Find

(04-02-2017, 05:28 AM)Halaman10 Wrote:  Is it going to be on GMod or a seperate launcher like Voslom?

>videos and screenshots from gmod

i think it's a 2d scroller tbh
Find

Um, about this: "Damage will NOT be a consistent number. Don't panic, this doesn't mean the damage stat on your weapon is useless. This simply means in Realms, more is at play. Instead of outputting a static damage number based on your weapon alone, you will output a range between a calculated min damage, and your weapons max damage. You WILL have a chance to hit 0's based on something disclosed later on in this post."

as an aspiring game designer my rule #1 of game design is minimize randomization as much as possible
don't add even more randomization for no reason. it's not fun, and i don't want to have to put points into making my gun less of a roulette wheel.
Find