Forerunner Gaming
Kurious About S&box FRG - Printable Version

+- Forerunner Gaming (https://forerunnergaming.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forerunnergaming.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General (https://forerunnergaming.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Kurious About S&box FRG (/showthread.php?tid=6880)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - The Black Parade - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:03 PM)Eclipse Wrote:  I feel like if brass was to make FRG into  the new game, it would have to be all new. If this is being developed on unreal engine, what about maps and add-ons? How hard would it be to import maps to the unreal engine compared to source?

This is something that isn't going to happen for a while. I don't think brass will be willing to do all of that at this time being seeing how he's done all this work now with lua then switching it all to C# and forcing more work than is already needed.
I think there is a way to import maps, but the new map editor is much better than Source. you can map while inside the game, and also they might have support for multiplayer mapping.

In Hammer you HAVE to you the 3 grids given to you. But in this new map editor, you just need the 3d view, this makes it more welcoming to new mappers.

Honestly the flow of add-ons and maps will come quickly, even quicker than gmod, because how easy it is to do now. Obviously thousands of mappers (including myself) are going to release maps on the new game, same thing with add-ons.
If TTT isn't on there once S&box releases, then Bad King Urgrain, the creator of TTT, will probably step in, or Brass could code TTT like he said before.

But again, this is in the far future.

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - 2bias - 06-10-2018

I don't understand why you are all worrying about this now, especially extremely unnecessary stuff like donations

This game isn't even close to being done, and probably won't be released any time in the near future(If i personally had to guess this game probably wont be out for at LEAST two more years)

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - The Black Parade - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:43 PM)tobiasxz Wrote:  I don't understand why you are all worrying about this now, especially extremely unnecessary stuff like donations

This game isn't even close to being done, and probably won't be released any time in the near future(If i personally had to guess this game probably wont be out for at LEAST two more years)

I'm just curious of what people think about it

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Macha - 06-10-2018

I personally have two major problems with jumping to S&Box/Gmod 2.

1: My computer is mid tier and, from experience with Eternal Crusade, might not run UE4 games that well. This could be graphics specific. A potato graphics game on UE4 might be be playable on anything. Tough to judge right now as it's heavily dependent on what the developers do in terms of performance optimization and yadda yadda.

2: I don't know how many other games are going to tie into S&Box. Probably not many at the start, but I do not have consistent cashflow to buy all the games I need to bolt on to S&Box. I might not be able to afford S&Box itself.

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Bathory (She/They) - 06-10-2018

Also if frg2 was to be made I'd suggest new forerunner packages, but including the old forerunners status. (Obviously lesser perks for the original forerunners)

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Dreadark - 06-11-2018

for frg 2 people with private beta badges should get another private beta badge. and then have that private beta badge give free items every day. i mean thats what we deserve for helping test the server 4 years ago.

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Excel - 06-11-2018

Unknown badges for people who stream sniper kuro

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Kuro - 06-11-2018

I'm split on both sides here

On one side
I'm interested in the prospect of a new server on S&ndbox and everything that entails, new inventory, new things to collect, new possibilities for events and everything I enjoy.

On the other side
I think there's plenty of problems currently that a new server on S&ndbox simply would not fix. There's plenty of stuff I don't enjoy right now that destroys any hope for a new server if it continued unaddressed.

Regardless I'll keep an eye on the development and remain hopeful for the best.

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - ProfessorSpace - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 10:29 AM)Brassx Wrote:  ...
Transferring items will not likely happen. It's a brand new engine, with all new weapons. I would not likely be able to transfer previous weapon models over to unreal engine very easily without remaking them all...

i beg to differ.

https://sandbox.facepunch.com/blog/dev-blog-4/

SandBox Blog Wrote:And now we can load Source Engine BSPs. There's obviously a lot more to it than that (BSP is a real shitbag of a file format). And then you have to solve a bunch of other stuff - like loading textures and sounds.

To be clear here, our intention isn't to make a version of the source engine and use all the same tools. But since the Source engine has an abundance of assets, we're using them to test.

We have fbx importers too. You've probably seen before but we can drop assets from Rust in with minimum effort.

RE: Kurious About S&box FRG - Brassx - 06-11-2018

Yeah I just read about the importers earlier, pretty cool stuff.

But they also stated they won't be using source engine assets much longer as it infringes valves copyright on them.